• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cutting back crytocoryne!

PreciousCat

Seedling
Hi
I have an aquarium that has been completely taken over by crypts, to the point that there is barely any gravel showing now. At first when I saw it spreading I was pleased it was doing so well, but now it's become a nuisance and I feel it's taking away a lot of swimming space from the fish. The fish are struggling to get to the food that falls to the gravel and I'm worried about them getting trapped.

Also I cannot get any stem plants to grow as they rot at the bottom of the stems and I think that could be down to the crypts chocking them and blocking the light.

I've tried cutting of the leaves at the base of the plants that are at the front, to create a clearing, and thin out the ones in the mid-ground. However, this just seems to make them grow back more vigorously.

I tried to uproot some, but the roots and runners are so intertwinned and huge it made a massive mess as so much substrate came up with it.

The substrate is Tropica plant substrate topped off with fine black gravel.

DSC_0270.JPG

To uproot, lift it slightly, wiggling gently as you go, and then cut through the roots. So the cut piece will only come out with 1/2" or so roots and you don't disturb the rest. You can also hold a syphon hose next to it as you do it - easier with an assistant.

It's quite a broad leaves crypt. You might be better going drastic and taking the whole lot out and replacing it with a smaller type. If you do you can probably sell it to cover the cost of new plants.

I think it looks great :) and you are underestimating your fish, they more likely love the coverage and don't mind the challange to wiggle through to get to the food. But if you want to for your own easthetic reasons Tam explained it all.. Gently lift it up the rosette above the substrate and cut the roots.
The roots left in the substrate will decomposse and provide nutrients for the other and new plants. :)

I've no idea, It's been years since I bought it. I bought a few pots of various crypts only this one survived and I now have enough for this tank, another 3ft and a 2ft.

I've thined them out at the front so I can now actually see my fish yet it's still dense at the back so plenty of cover for the fish.

Thanks for your advice.

If you have a look on facebook there are a couple of UK aquatic plant sale/swap or there will probably be a local fish group for your area too.

If you have a look on facebook there are a couple of UK aquatic plant sale/swap or there will probably be a local fish group for your area too.

Cheers, I've asked to join a few so will see which one is the most active and list on there.

Hiya, I've swapped the ones I took out, but no doubt it won't be long before I have to do another cut back. So I'll contact you then to see if you are still interested in doing a swap. Thanks :)

Back