• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cut end of Vals

Werwa

Whenever I cut my Vals to keep them from becoming over grown the cut tips soon become an algae problem. Does anyone know what I can do? Thank you.

I really only want to trim the tops as opposed to cutting it all the way down. I,ve tried cutting at anagle and straight across with no luck. Not sure if there actually is an answer outside of just managing algae better.

I really only want to trim the tops as opposed to cutting it all the way down. I,ve tried cutting at anagle and straight across with no luck. Not sure if there actually is an answer outside of just managing algae better.
I think Darrel gave you the answer mate.
Those leaves that are being problematic both with algae and growing too large, take from the bottom.
It might take some time as you haven’t done this from the start, but eventually you will have enough plant mass to continue trimming from the bottom, without leaving the tank looking completely bare.

Hi all,
What @seedoubleyou, says cutting the ends of the leaves is always going to cause problems.

Cheers Darrel

I think the only real remedy would be to swap it for a smaller species that doesn't need to be trimmed. The giant species can look amazing if you have room to let them grow up and over the waters surface but there are more refined (if vallis can be refined) species may work better.

Back