• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Custom regulator. PICS ADDED.

yeah could you share with us the supplier where you got your parkers, Was that 41 each or for both.

i spent about 6mths looking for good needle valves in this country, swagelok where the most expensive at £100 a valve. Parker i could not get hold of, ideal i could not get hold of. In the end i got two hoke valves, good but not as cheap as the parkers that you got. :)

Sure I will post the item number in a minute. It was $24.99 per valve with $16.95 shipping or something like that. I'll just go find the item number. They are from the US so I have to wait for them. Any ideas on a solenoid? Was thinking about a burket but the price and the fact they run hot is a turn off. Missed out on two Parker solenoids the other day. They went for £15.

140857586196 (item number) the shipping was only £1 more to ship both valves so I bought both there and then to save the pennies.

Also note that they are npt fittings but easily converted to bsp if needed. If I remember rightly my reg is bsp so I will have to convert somewhere down the line. I'll get my thread measurement tool before I start putting things together.

Another bit info on the Parker valves, they are 15 turns from closed to open so should be very good for fine adjustment.

My metering valves arrived today so it's time to buy some more parts. I think I'll get the elbow to bubble counter next. I'm still stuck as to what solenoid to use and may just get a burkett. Then I'll just need another elbow and maybe a check valve to protect those expensive regs.

Ok so I've ordered two silver jbj style bubble counters. They should have 1/8 npt fittings. That's great as my metering valve is 1/8npt. So valve, elbow, check valve, to bubble counter. Simples.... Erm well I guess not. I need to find a suitable 1/8npt check valve. I've found the right one but in 1/8 bspp fitting. Which would mean going valve, npt to bspp elbow, check valve, bspp to npt hex nipple to bubble counter. Oh it's all so confusing. Note to self never try to build a custom reg. I'll be taking that back if I get it finished tho :)

Check found has been found. Sadly it's not silver but it will have to do. Also found the elbows I need. But are from the US so I need to send some emails and hopefully get them shipped. May just bite the bullet and get two burkert solenoids. It's going to cost about £60 for the pair :O these regs are costing me a bomb. But more than worth it to know I have a regulator that out performs any pre built regulator on the market.

Honestly it's not that bad. Plus the end result is a regulator that you can set and forget until you need to refill the co2 tank. Oh and the feeling you get from building something great ;)

I have purchased one of these off ebay not as cheap as yours but still not bad at £45

I have also purchased the parker metering valve from the states

I am about to hit the button on a burkert 6011

do you have any advice on check valves (1/8 npt)

but I am getting very very confused with the fittings I need to stick them together...

from what I can gather I need :
  • regulator to solenoid: 3/8 BSPT male to 1/8 BSPP male
  • solenoid to metering valve: 1/8 BSPP male to 1/8 NPT male
  • Metering valve to check valve: 90 degree elbow 1/8 npt
  • check valve to jbj bubble counter: 1/8 npt hex nipple
I would appreciate any advice you can give as I am getting a bit confused

if you had any part numbers of bits you have got in the past I would be eternally grateful!

thanks again and your posts have inspired me to roll my own regualtor!

That all looks fine to me. When I get a chance I'll find the check valve I keep meaning to order. It's the smallest I have found so far. Note with BSPP fittings there should be a rubber washer between them to form the airtight seal. Apart from that all looks good.

Also the check valve i found is female to male so a hex nipple isn't needed to mount the bubble counter. £45 is still a great price as they are over £100 new.

Out of interest..why are you going through all this trouble to build your own reg when there are plenty enough decent ones about?
I'm not trying to be all knowing and as this is writing and not spoken word there is no tone or anything in my question, I'm genuinely interested as to why :)

Cheers

cost is one factor.

this reg with solenoid and needle valve will cost me about £100

the JBL with solenoid comes in at about £170

fingers crossed this should be a better set up

I also like to fiddle with things :)

Haha ok mate, fair play, it does look the part I must admit. I went for a cheap I one and the needle valve is crap!!

Out of interest..why are you going through all this trouble to build your own reg when there are plenty enough decent ones about?
I'm not trying to be all knowing and as this is writing and not spoken word there is no tone or anything in my question, I'm genuinely interested as to why :)

Cheers

Ok well one a regulator should be a solid investment. Building your own means that you can pick the parts that should last the longest time. These regulators will hold the same output until the bottle is empty. Single stage regs will have a pressure change towards the end of the bottle. Building your own also builds on your knowledge of fittings and makes it easy to add onto your reg in the future, if I had a big cupboard free you could get the biggest co2 tank that would fit and add some parts to your regulator
gyrute7e.jpg

Then run all of your tanks from it :D

I'm looking at building a custom reg, could I connect 2 5kg FE's to a BOC 8500, then to a solenoid, then to a metering valve, then to a manifold with about 4 outlets so I ciould run 4 tanks off it ? By manifold I mean something like this- 360420777752

Have you looked into Clippard mouse solenoids, on the American forums they seem to be the best, they are only 0.67 watts so no heat at all really. They are also pretty cheap.
I just brought a BOC 8500 10 Bar yesterday for £42 + postage and i'm planning a multi tank setup like the one you posted earlier ( that is a clippard solenoid in between all the needle valves).

Back