• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cryptocoryne Usteriana grow & melt cycle

Bonwren

Is it possible for this plant to go through cycles of healthy growth, followed by some melting off again, for several months before the plant eventually settles and grows healthily. Mine has been going through these cycles for about 4 months now and it's becoming a bit frustrating. According to my test results the aquarium environment has remained stable with no obvious fluctuations and all other crypts (Crispatula, Becketti) and plants are doing well. Lighting is medium strength Arcadia Classica LED, temp 79 fahrenheit, Ph 7, Nitrates 20ppm, and a weekly dose of complete fertiliser following a 30% water change. There's no CO2 injection and substrate is plain gravel that isn't vacuumed around the base of the rooted plants. I'd have thought my Usteriana would have fully acclimatised to my tank after 3-4 months. The plant is described as being an 'easy' and undemanding plant to grow. Do you think it's still adapting/settling in .....? Has anyone else experienced this strange repeating cycle of growing and then melting back a bit again ?
Show less

Is it possible for this plant to go through cycles of healthy growth, followed by some melting off again, for several months before the plant eventually settles and grows healthily. Mine has been going through these cycles for about 4 months now
Hello,
Melting crypts are a sign of poor CO2. Crypts do not care about stability of parameters. In their native habitats they survive all kinds of instability when submerged. Since the tank is non-CO2 injected the only way to combat the issue is to reduce the light intensity, which reduces the demand for CO2.

Cheers,

I'm using Microbe-Lift Plants Green fertiliser, MirandaB.

ceg4048, thanks for that information, the crypt in question is actually in a very highly lit spot within the aquarium. Given what you say, I shall try and make it a bit more shaded and see if that helps the situation. Thanks !

I'm using Microbe-Lift Plants Green fertiliser, MirandaB.

ceg4048, thanks for that information, the crypt in question is actually in a very highly lit spot within the aquarium. Given what you say, I shall try and make it a bit more shaded and see if that helps the situation. Thanks !
@Bonwren Especially usteriana will do fine in low light - they don't need much. They don't like to be moved around in my experience, so it may get worse before it gets better. In a non-injected tank it's all about reducing CO2 demand. As @ceg4048 said, reduce the light intensity ... its the best thing you can do, and maybe add some floating plants for extra shade.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I have crypt usteriana growing in my low tech set up. I planted 2 pots worth and split into about 8 plants all are growing fine. I've not had any melting. My crypts are growing fine just really slow. I dose tnc complete daily and i do 50% water changes min weekly. Running on 2 t5 40w lamps for 8 hour photoperiods. I did plant my crypts in a semi shaded part of my tank.

Hi all,

To give a quick update, I took @MirandaB advice and have upped my plant feeding. After some research, I bought Seachem Flourish root tabs and have placed some around all my planted plants (i.e. various Crypts & Vallis). I also bought some Ferropol 24 which I am adding every other day, as opposed to daily, in addition to my weekly dose of Microbe-Lift Plants Green fertiliser. All my plants (including some Java Fern & Anubias) are now looking and growing much better than when I first posted and the crypt melt has thankfully stopped happening and has been replaced with some vigorous growth. Thank you all for the helpful advice !!

Back