• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

cryptocoryne spiralis 'tiger' V cryptocoryne spiralis 'red'

Scott p

hi all, I was wondering if anybody could help me as my Google search has not been so helpful . Is there a difference between cryptocoryne spiralis 'tiger' and cryptocoryne spiralis 'red' or are they same plant just sold under a different name?

Many thanks.

Hi Scott, yes they are different. I have both of them and they'll grow differently depending on the environment but my Spiralis red is a light red colour with a green vein, almost looks like a candy. The spiralis red can also display a veined pattern so it's a fair enough confusion.

My Spiralis Tiger is darker, like a wine red but with very clear distinct stripes on the leaves. It's much smaller (although can also grow large) and it grows slower for me too.

54FF44AB-9DAD-4C66-ADEF-4BBC6048B8BA.jpeg

1st photo: Spiralis Red
0084D812-FE90-4256-8A61-9944B27B62FF.jpeg

2nd Photo: Far left plant is Spiralis Tiger

Thank you that’s very helpful.
I have come to this conclusion on my research so it’s nice to have it confirmed with somebody that keeps both! The Google searches are not always clear.
I have the red as a tissue culture but I was originally looking for the Tiger. As the the Tiger is my favourite I shall continue searching.

Many thanks.

Hi Scott, yes they are different. I have both of them and they'll grow differently depending on the environment but my Spiralis red is a light red colour with a green vein, almost looks like a candy. The spiralis red can also display a veined pattern so it's a fair enough confusion.

My Spiralis Tiger is darker, like a wine red but with very clear distinct stripes on the leaves. It's much smaller (although can also grow large) and it grows slower for me too.

View attachment 178210
1st photo: Spiralis Red
View attachment 178211
2nd Photo: Far left plant is Spiralis Tiger

Didn't know you had both @Courtneybst - how does the growth compare between the two, do they grow to a similar size? My Tiger has started to get very large though not quite on the scale of @MirandaB's Cryptocoryne spiralis tiger.....low tech?

I have the red as a tissue culture but I was originally looking for the Tiger.

Many thanks.

Where did you manage to get the invitro pot of the Spiralis Red?

If you are after some Spiralis Tiger @MirandaB may be willing to sell you a plantlet if you PM her.

how does the growth compare between the two, do they grow to a similar size?
Hey Wooki, I don't think it's a fair judgement because one has access to a bit more light than the other but it shouldn't be wildly different.

I've had the crypt red a couple of months and it grows large (about 40-50cm) with wide leaves (4-5cm) and quite fast for a crypt. Probably a new leaf every week or so.

The spiralis I've had more longer, maybe since September? Yet it's much smaller, about 5 inches at most. It seems to grow much more slowly too. It has started to get ever so slightly taller in the last few weeks so I imagine it just needs time. I quite like it small though as I have it in the foreground.

The spiralis I've had more longer, maybe since September? Yet it's much smaller, about 5 inches at most. It seems to grow much more slowly too. It has started to get ever so slightly taller in the last few weeks so I imagine it just needs time. I quite like it small though as I have it in the foreground.

I’m sure it will catch up. Though my starting plant was bigger then yours, it didn’t do much for a month or two, then suddenly took off - now it’s dominating my little tank 😆

Didn't know you had both @Courtneybst - how does the growth compare between the two, do they grow to a similar size? My Tiger has started to get very large though not quite on the scale of @MirandaB's Cryptocoryne spiralis tiger.....low tech?

If you are after some Spiralis Tiger @MirandaB may be willing to sell you a plantlet if you PM her.
The fish barn have the red at the moment.

the fish barn very Limited stock at the moment.

The fish barn have the red at the moment.

the fish barn very Limited stock at the moment.
Stupid question, how do you view their plant list or am I right in thinking they don't have plants listed on their website?

To be honest it’s such limited stock they may not haven’t put it on the website. It would be better to emailing or message them on their Facebook page if your Facebook.

I think they order in plants every week so may be best to just give them a call and ask. They’re very good at ordering any fish you want so I could see it being even easier with plants.

Cheers

Back