• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Cryptocoryne spiralis tiger.....low tech?

MirandaB

Does anyone grow this low tech as I'm wondering how well it will grow?
Really need to move it and try and tame the beast lol
P1070186.JPG

Wookii

That some monster root system Miranda! Now you've got me worried what mine is going to be like when I have to uproot it!

bazz

Hi,
Looks like four.
Were three originally planted or have they propagated from one plant?
Thanks!

Jack B

No root tabs,just Tropica soil and water column ferts.....the soil pretty much exhausted several months ago
Looks fantastic!

If you - or anyone - ever feel like selling some let me know! Rarer than hen's teeth as far as I can tell

In the meantime please keep us updated on how you get on. I'd be growing it low tech 🤞

Stan510

If your growing it like that,why are you asking if it can grow in lo tech? I would have said without any photos,yes you can. Crypts are low Co2 needy plants. If you ever look at youtubes "GuppyStream" in Austria,Crypts have filled big areas of a tropical stream in that cold country because its the heated wastewater of a coal plant. I think its warm for about a thousand meters,up to 27C. Willd aquarium fish have been in it since the 1940's. Anyways,that water's Co2 reading is about 15,16. Well under the planted Co2 run aquariums of 24-26? Right?

Wookii

Anyways,that water's Co2 reading is about 15,16. Well under the planted Co2 run aquariums of 24-26? Right

That’s not really a valid comparison to a low tech glass box system that will be well under 0.4ppm CO2 though.

Crypts are low Co2 needy plants.

They are, I agree, but we can’t necessarily tar them all with the same brush. Tiger Spiralis may well grow fine low tech, but I’ve not read of anyone doing so (which is probably more to do with its rarity than anything else), so in the absence of someone having direct experience of doing so, it’s a fair question to ask.

MirandaB

If your growing it like that,why are you asking if it can grow in lo tech? I would have said without any photos,yes you can. Crypts are low Co2 needy plants. If you ever look at youtubes "GuppyStream" in Austria,Crypts have filled big areas of a tropical stream in that cold country because its the heated wastewater of a coal plant. I think its warm for about a thousand meters,up to 27C. Willd aquarium fish have been in it since the 1940's. Anyways,that water's Co2 reading is about 15,16. Well under the planted Co2 run aquariums of 24-26? Right?
It's one of the few Crypts that seems to have a high light and nutrient requirement and I don't particularly want to lose it.

Stan510

Higher light as in for color? Or just to grow? Are you Miranda the one who grew it large? Or is that somebody who's giving you a few plants?
I would not turn it down. I think no chance you would kill it..but if low tech lighting isn't up to snuff it might never look as colorful.

MirandaB

I'm the one who grew it lol when I first got some invitro a couple of years ago I tried a small amount in a tank without co2 and it just dwindled away but then again it had no real roots to speak of.