• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cryptocoryne ID

This is the general problem.......
Botanically every plant has its very own name. This plant - and ONLY this plant - can rightfully carry a given, botanical name. The name is given to the plant based on specifications, usually focused on flower (flowers are much less prone to change because of environment, than leaves are - therefore much safer for ID).
HOWEVER..... when we start using 'x' and "x" and the like of signs, there are very little restrictions (if any!). I am often quoted fore saying "we can call it Donald if we wish to. As long as we use these signs ' x ' ".
FURTHERMORE we are talking hybrid in this case - and finally there is usually some variation in the "lines"(especially when intense, commercial cultivation, often including TC propagation, is carried out) of a given species/hybrid/cultivar or what have we here. Botanists will decide if variation in a given plant is enough to give a new plant, a variation or just an acceptable variation within species (when and if they find the time). Kasselmann is doing a lot of this, within the plants we use for our aquaria (be thankfull for her interest!).
- my best guess is, they are all variations of the C. x willissii in the end.

Thanks Darrel,
Mick.Dk has given a version however my problem is that AG sell Nevillii, Lucens and Willisii. I too have read the same about nevillii and the description on tropica website says that willisii has been incorrectly named nevillii, however if that's the case what plant am I buying.
I think I will go with willisii as that seems to what I'm after, but this has gotten me curious.
You are right. It seem every producer chose their own name

You are right. It seem every producer chose their own name
Thank you, just noticed the slight difference in spelling, Nevellii and Nevillii. Whether this is a typo or 2 different strains beats me, thanks for your help.

Well I got Cryptocoryne Parva x3 from Aquarium gardens

Also got Cryptocoryne wendtii x2 from Aqua Essentails but minein pmy pic isnt Wendtii

Seached out the labels - as always found the one I was after last :rolleyes:
View attachment 127969
Tropica had a "line" of C. parva from a TC lab some time ago. These plants grow WAY bigger than C. parva should ever do. We chose to dismiss this "line", since it was defenitely not a typical C. parva and focused on a "line" that behave like C. parva......

Back