• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Croydoras eggs

1stgolf

Hi this is the 2nd time in a week my croydoras has laid eggs on the glass of my tank.
I would love some of them to hatch just need to know what I need to do?
Thanks

You can leave them where they are and they'll probably hatch but the fry gout get eaten depending on what stock you have in the tank.
If you want to rear some, you can roll the eggs gently off the glass with your finger and stick them on the glass of a rearing tank. Start the off on micro worms and fine powered food and they'll be away. What species of Corydoras is it?

The best way is to put them in a separate tank with a cycled filter and a bit of sand on the bottom is best. After they are laid, wait for 30m or an hour before trying to move them because they are very soft when laid and will burst. Then roll them gently one by one, they are kind of sticky. But try not to expose them to air or at least that's what I was told so I used a small plastic cup to move them from one tank to the other and put them on the front glass. Took me hours.
Then depending on species they'll hatch in 2-5 days max. The eggs should darken in time. Those that go white are infertile.
I have hatched them in a net as well but they are more prone to getting fungus like that because the net can get dusty and dirty from the tank itself and the eggs bunch up together infecting each other. If the net is not fine, the little ones will escape/be eaten by the inhabitants through the net!! Corys are tiny when born, almost invisible.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input. And I have the very common bronze croys

I just hope I can get a couple out of at least 50 to hatch. Can I ask why some of the eggs get fungus on them?

Exposing the eggs too air isn't a problem as long as it's only for a few seconds as you move from one tank to the other.

I just hope I can get a couple out of at least 50 to hatch. Can I ask why some of the eggs get fungus on them?

Copy and paste:

Fish Eggs
Besides fish, fungus will readily infect fish eggs, as well. Unfertilized eggs are usually infected first, with the hyphae gradually spreading onto healthy eggs, eventually killing the developing embryo. Some fish (notably cichlids) will remove any unfertilized eggs themselves, but otherwise the aquarist will need to remove them from the batch using a pipette. Unfertilized eggs are usually opaque in color and easily distinguished from healthy eggs.

The aquarist should also keep the aquarium as clean as possible, in part by providing good filtration and regular water changes but also by excluding things like gravel that might trap organic detritus, so that fungus cannot become established.

If only some of the eggs are affected by fungus it's likely that those were not fertilised.

Well last night I put some of the eggs in a biggish container with tank water and a airline to keep the water moving. No eggs have fungus on and to me look healthy ill just have to wait and see what happens. I also watched my daughters gold fish lay egg early this morning

It's over 24 hr now with no white eggs so all is looking good.

Do you have a tank to put them in after they hatch?
They won't survive in the container.
I've grown a few in a plastic breeder box inside the tank but that still required 4-5 times water changes a day(or I rather flushed the water through the box carefully) and thorough cleaning because they are very sensitive to water conditions. If a lot of them hatch it's not an option because the water gets polluted too fast no matter it's a breeder box that gets some degree of flow
They have to have sand substrate because bare bottom tend to grow harmful bacteria that kills cory fry. And they are very shy when small so cover such as plants and such maybe good. If you have any almond/oak leaves etc...it would be good as they'll grow infusoria.
I fed mine powdered food tetra min about 4 times a day as it wasn't harsh on the water quality. The old food gets like fluffs over the sand and needs to be removed regularly.But they don't need any food the first 24 hrs after they hatch because they use up their yolk sac they are born with.

I have an old rena tank in my parents shed I will see if I can make some time today to go and pick it up

No mate no luck and no white eggs. Thing is there's more eggs been laid yesterday how often does a croy lay eggs

Thanks for the reply. I've not done my water change yet as its due tomorrow this will be a couple of times now she's laid eggs without me doing a w/c

Thing is there's more eggs been laid yesterday how often does a croy lay eggs

Depends how many females you have. Sometimes they don't lay eggs at the same time and alternate. So mine have had long periods of time laying eggs twice a week. Generally, once they feel comfy in a tank they start breeding like crazy as long as they've got no stressors. They may have a quitter periods but that's about it. Mine are spawning this very moment but I don't bother saving eggs anymore. I've got like over 50 corys between tanks.

No mate no luck and no white eggs.

That's odd, it's been quite a few days, mine normally hatch faster(max 3 days max) but it could be due to temperature As long as they are not white or fuzzy and have gotten dark they should be fine. Also, maybe try to touch one egg and see if it's soft or hard. If it's "gone off" it will fall apart between your fingers easily. Healthy older eggs are harder and you can still roll them on.

Thanks for the reply. I've not done my water change yet as its due tomorrow this will be a couple of times now she's laid eggs without me doing a w/c

Water changes are not a requirement nor a trigger in most scenarios in my opinion, not with my corys. They often lay eggs just prior to a weekly water change rather than after. They just need good quality water. Some people "fatten them up" with live foods, frozen foods, etc..This only increases the amount of eggs they'd lay at a time but it doesn't make them spawn more or less often.

Back