• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Creating a peaceful community

Ks198

hi all,

I am new to the hobbit. Have set up a low tech planted 180l tank and it has been cycled fishless for 3 weeks so far. I am just started to research what fish I should have. A few fish I definitely like to have,

Zebra Danio (as first type of fish to introduce)
bristlenose-plec
Some sort of catfish ( coz my daughter loves them)

Maybe to have,
Sword fish
boesemani-rainbowfish
Drawf gorammi
Or pearl gorammi
Blake molly
Assassin snail
Some cherry shrimp

I try to have different combinations in the thinkfish website, my main trouble is to find a central piece m, I really like boesemani-rainbowfish, but it seems can cause problem to small fish or gorammi. Can you plz kindly let me know your opinions plz?

Many thx

Kai

I have a small group of boesemani in a 180l tank. You need to bear in mind they grow relatively large, are best in a shoal and will hoover up any small fish or shrimp. Large males will be aggressive when courting and if they're hungry, other fish may struggle to feed - they're fast!

So they will definitely limit your options.

Regards, Mark

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Hello, I have 3 pearl gourami in a heavily planted tank, with some kuhli loaches, and endler guppies, the pearl gourami always hide and the male gourami is the shyest of them all races around the tank at any signs of movement in the room they seem peaceful enough maybe too peaceful but this maybe my experience I've never had them before and they have been in the tank well over 12 months, Kuhli loaches are cool things though!

Thx for reply. Do you know any other types of centre piece I can consider?

Thx

Kai

I am thinking to buy 4-6 danios first, can I introduce shrimp or bottom feeders at the same time?

My tank is newly planted tank. Been running fishless for 4 weeks now, plants are growing, some leafs have melted, so I guess some ammonia has generated from there. What you guys thinks? Am I ready?

Thx a lot

Instead of the large rainbows why don't you look into dwarf rainbows which will be more suited to the size of the tank and won't eat other tankmates.

Gertrudes blu-eyed rainbowfish.jpg
Blue eye-ed forktail rainbow.jpg
Iriatherina_werneri_threadfin_rainbowfish_2_600x450.jpg

It will depend where you live as to what you can get

Do you want a large fish species like the rainbows or you happy to have smaller species ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like rainbow as they are quite colourful, but I intend to have some small species and also I like gorammis at some stages maybe...

I like rainbow as they are quite colourful, but I intend to have some small species and also I like gorammis at some stages maybe...

Rainbows come in all different sizes so you have to be a bit more specific

Thanks. These looks lovely. Are they easy to look after? My water ph is about 8 I think. Thx a lot!

I've only had the forktail rainbows(2nd picture) and there was nothing special about their care. They require hard water and average tropical temperature. They are top dwellers and will eat from the surface. They do display a lot to each other, especially the males, very interesting to watch but are not aggressive to any other fish otherwise, From the rest, the ones on the third picture are also hard water species, common name threadfin rainbows and I think their care is labelled as generally easier than the forktail rainbows, though I am not sure what's the easier or more difficult part between the two.

They loo
I've only had the forktail rainbows(2nd picture) and there was nothing special about their care. They require hard water and average tropical temperature. They are top dwellers and will eat from the surface. They do display a lot to each other, especially the males, very interesting to watch but are not aggressive to any other fish otherwise, From the rest, the ones on the third picture are also hard water species, common name threadfin rainbows and I think their care is labelled as generally easier than the forktail rainbows, though I am not sure what's the easier or more difficult part between the two.
thx a lot! I will definitely go down to local fish store to check. I will stick with my plan, start with danios first and then bottom feeders and the forktails... hopefully it works out fine.

Thx

Sorry guys, very ugent question. I did a 80% water change, but then the heater I found is not working after that. I happened just fill the tank with cold water from tap. It's about 18 degrees at moment. Do you think the plants will survive for a day until I get a replacement?

Thx

Kai

Yes no problem
Did you take the water below the minimum level on the heater without unplugging it ?

yeah, got a replacement now. Won't make that silly mistake again! :banghead:

Back