• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cracked glass...

Aqua360

Not an aquarium, but a terrarium i got from gumtree, still in original packaging.

Should have trusted my instincts on why it was a good price, but here we are.

As you can see from the attached pic, I have two lovely cracks that extend through the front bottom panel (front to back), extending down below the silicone. Basically in the absolute worst place to get a crack, as this type of tank is designed to hold water at the bottom and drain where necessary. I discovered these cracks when lifting out the box, via small shards in my finger :)

My initial thoughts are to silicone on a small square of glass on the inside, with liberal amounts of silicone, then just cover the front with some duct tape, but the fact the crack extends down below the silicone gives me pause.

Welcome all input

38d60ad9-65c5-4b43-9505-eb8fcb5310cf.jpg

What’s the intended inhabitants mate, more frogs? If you went with something else, you might be able to avoid all the misting and therefore less water.
Yeah more frogs, i'd kind of considered something else like the crested gecko, but this size wouldn't be the best.

Try googling the brand name and replacing the glass - see if there is anyone that's done it before so you can see how much would be involved in taking it apart to replace that section.

Does it need to hold standing water or is it just damp? If it needs to hold water I guess the only way to know is to attempt the repair and then do a fill test (outside!). If that doesn't make it water tight, you could line it. If it doesn't I wonder if you could just fill it.

Try googling the brand name and replacing the glass - see if there is anyone that's done it before so you can see how much would be involved in taking it apart to replace that section.

Does it need to hold standing water or is it just damp? If it needs to hold water I guess the only way to know is to attempt the repair and then do a fill test (outside!). If that doesn't make it water tight, you could line it. If it doesn't I wonder if you could just fill it.
unfortunately i think the way its put together is a bit too much for me to DIY, it needs to hold water in that specific section in between draining.

I think it'll probably come down to getting a piece small rectangular glass and attempting repair on the inside, to see if water tight. We live in hope.

I’d go with the recommendation on Dendroboard mate. Silicone and glass over it on the inside.
Then wrap or paint that panel black.

It shouldn’t need to hold too much water if you have the drain constantly open.

Back