• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Could Someone Give me Advice on Plant Selection for a New Aquascape?

chrismartin

Seedling
Hello there,👋

I am excited to start a new aquascaping project and would love to get some input from this knowledgeable community. I recently acquired a 60-liter tank and am aiming for a lush; balanced aquascape that showcases a variety of aquatic plants.

I am particularly interested in creating a mix of foreground; midground; and background plants to add depth and interest to the layout. I have done some research; but with so many options available; it can be overwhelming. I want to achieve a natural look, ideally something that resembles a tranquil riverbank or a dense forest floor.

Which plants do you think would be best suited for my tank size?🤔 I am leaning towards easy-to-maintain species since I am still honing my skills. Are there particular plants that tend to thrive well together? I want to avoid any species that might outcompete or overshadow others.

Also, I have gone through this post; https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/preparations-for-a-new-tank-input-and-uipath-advice-requested.61811/ which definitely helped me out a lot.

What are your suggestions for lighting and CO2 supplementation to support healthy plant growth?🤔 I currently have a standard LED light; but I am open to upgrading if necessary.

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance.😇

Cryptocoryne and Bucephalandra are my favourite plants.
However, both can be sensitive when starting a new tank. They are also slow growing.
Some people suggest using some quick growing stem plants to get the tank going and then swap them for more delicate plants after a few months.
Also… floating plants are your friend. Things like frogbit, redroot floaters, water spangles or dwarf water lettuce are all great for a new tank.

Back