• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Could my plants be browning due to phosphate?

MDByne

Seedling
Hi all,

I'm new here. I've had my 100l tank around 6 months now. Heavily planted, low energy set up. 16w led light (Fluval aquasky). I use EA aquascaper complete to dose ferts. I get good growth on most thing

Though hard to see, its happening on all of them. I'm not really getting algae on glass or anything else. I've had a couple of really heavy maintenance sessions and been changing water twice a week to get on top of it. I've also been dosing a little liquid co2 as an algaeside just to see if it is but haven't noticed much change yet. My understanding was that brown algae mostly appears at the start up of an aquarium so this has me slightly confused

Attachments

• 20201112_090751.jpg
    20201112_090751.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 153
  • 20201112_090742.jpg
    20201112_090742.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 150
  • 20201112_090736.jpg
    20201112_090736.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 151
  • 20201112_090722.jpg
    20201112_090722.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 148
I’ve recently set up a new aquarium in September this year, I went through a diatomaceous stage, and some of my plants became covered. I wasn’t overly concerned as I knew this was part of the cycling process of a tank. Keep up with your water changes, keep am eye on your water parameters and make sure you have adequate water flow. It will eventually disappear as the silica it feeds on is diminished in your tank

What clean up crew do you have? snails and/or shrimp.
One of my tanks I have does get hair algae occasionally as I don't have Amanos in tank, plants are in pots so I just stick them in main tank for a few days and its sorted. Having a balanced clean up crew saves lots of effort/issues

I’ve recently set up a new aquarium in September this year, I went through a diatomaceous stage, and some of my plants became covered. I wasn’t overly concerned as I knew this was part of the cycling process of a tank. Keep up with your water changes, keep am eye on your water parameters and make sure you have adequate water flow. It will eventually disappear as the silica it feeds on is diminished in your tank
Should this be happening after 6 months though?

I do wonder whether now the tank is maturing and plants have grown bigger that the water flow is not enough (currently 5x)

What clean up crew do you have? snails and/or shrimp.
One of my tanks I have does get hair algae occasionally as I don't have Amanos in tank, plants are in pots so I just stick them in main tank for a few days and its sorted. Having a balanced clean up crew saves lots of effort/issues
I've got 9 amanos and 4 nerite snails for 100l

I do wonder whether now the tank is maturing and plants have grown bigger that the water flow is not enough (currently 5x)

Would could well be a contributing factor

I've got 9 amanos and 4 nerite snails for 100l

Which isnt much IMO, have 60+ amanos Nitrile snails MTS ramshorns and pest snails in my 500l

Plus a few RCS
1605381273099.png

Back