• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cory breeding!

Costa

Hey guys,

I'm reading up a lot on Corydoras breeding because my wife likes them and that's a great way for me to get more tanks!!

So I bumped into this German forum (corydorasforum.de) and what the users seem to say (my German is a bit rusty) is that the breeding tank should have 0.5-1.0cm of sand and only around 3cm of water, which I find to be very shallow, at least compared to the many videos and how-to's I've watched and read.

Could any seasoned Cory breeders comment, please? Thank you and wish you all a relaxing Sunday.

Hi
I've found that Corys tend to go into breeding mode after large water changes....could be induced by the slight temperature difference and the fresh/clean water!
hoggie

Thank you Hoggie, this is what I've been reading as well. Do you have any comments re the water level inside the tank that will be housing the Corys?

About a year ago I bought 6 Sterbai for my 2ft deep discus tank, I now have at least 21 of various sizes! Every time I clean the filter there are a couple of juveniles in there.
Water changes simulate fresh rains in The Andes, not only is the water parameters different but also there is an increase in available food.

I'm no breeder, but red somewhere a tut.. next to a good healthy diet, i guess in any case tha's always life food... Keep 'm for a while in a half drained tank in shallow water, than simulate flood season, in this rainy season everything cools and the falling rain earates the water, this seems to trigger the Cory's to spawn.. Gradualy lower temperatur, to 19°C with adding cooler water over sprinkle installation that simulates rain and flooding.. :)

No personal experience, as said i once red it as tutorial from a Cory breeder..

Also did read that lowering temp already triggers cory's to spawn.

Thank you all for the tips! Hoggie sorry for your loss. I've had 5-6 pandas for a year in a 30gal tetra tank. They never bred (well, I never got any offsprings at least) but I got several ember tetra babies that still live to this day. Ever since I moved everything to the 230gal, I had no baby fish, don't know why...

Edvet, what's the point of reusing the old water?

Thanks again!

Doing a large waterchange without changing the waterchemistry, as i said it's an old trick. I wouldn't mind changing it nowadays. But if you need to do a lot of work to get good water ( for instance if you have very hard water and soft water cory's) this can help doing a large change easily.

Right, understood, thank you Edvet.

@hogan53 Hoggie have you found some types of sand to work better than others? If it matters, I have relatively hard water (GH in the 10 range). Which type/brand would you recommend?

Sand is not a necessity...Corys will breed in most tanks with different substrates!
The Female and Male must get into the T position or the eggs will not be fertilized!

Thank you! I'm debating whether I should move the corys I've got from the tank they are sharing with 60 or so tetras to a new tank, or just go to the LFS and get some new corys. Can the LFS staff tell male from female? My wife wants pandas, I prefer sterbai.

I don't think you can distinguish between the Male and Female gender at the juvenile stage!
I could be wrong though.....Tetras will eat eggs and young fry if given the opportunity!
If you have a very heavily planted tank, the offspring may have a higher percentage to surviving to adulthood!
Cheers
hoggie

the breeding tank should have 0.5-1.0cm of sand and only around 3cm of water, which I find to be very shallow
Mine spawned in my 125L display aquarium on a (Ludwigia palustris green) stem plant this is a deep aquarium. I just put the eggs in a floating plastic milk bottle in the 125L display tank (so this is the shallow water) & change the water in the bottle twice daily from the display tank when I feed.
whether I should move the corys I've got from the tank they are sharing with 60 or so tetras to a new tank, or just go to the LFS and get some new corys.
You should probably try to ensure that your breeding stock comes from separate sources (including some 'wild' if possible) to keep the genetics ok.

I've got some C.Sterbai on the go at the moment (I'm on my 4th batch) its a bit of an uphill struggle & my parent Sterbai are not big so not many eggs are spawned. I'm still learning but getting better with each batch.....

1st batch - 1 fry survived
2nd batch - 2 fry survived
3rd batch - 9 fry survived
4th batch - 6 fry survived

Good luck with yours...

Thanks @BubblingUnder ! Do you have your sterbai breeding pair in a separate tank, or together with other fish? I am reading that catapa/oak leaves help a lot with protecting the fry and adding helpful tannins to the water column. Would be interested to know what your set up is.

Thanks @BubblingUnder ! Do you have your sterbai breeding pair in a separate tank, or together with other fish? I am reading that catapa/oak leaves help a lot with protecting the fry and adding helpful tannins to the water column. Would be interested to know what your set up is.
I have nine breeding size C.Sterbai within a community aquarium (containing a Discus,Otto's,Cardinal Tetras & Ammano shrimp). Tannins are provided by a piece of bogwood within the tank (I've not tried leaves myself). I have put my setup as a journal on UKAPS https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/amazon-type-planted-125l-tank.49265/ hope this is helpful to you.

very surprised you had several cory eggs and fry escape the cardinals and the other corys!
They will eat them if they get the chance so you would need to remove them (about a day after they were laid worked for me) I used scissors to remove the stem plant leaves they had spawned on & moved them to the floating plastic container to avoid that. Also if you overfeed all the other fish it seems to decrease their interest in eating the eggs.

Back