• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cooking Hacks - Arduino Basic Aquarium/Aquaponic Automation

zozo

Into Arduino and interested in automation?

Have a look!?

But it's a tad of expert-level stuff... :)

Wow, that's really cool, nice to have a shield based system. Although I found with many monitoring/automation projects, after a few months you never look at the data and the novelty wears off! Maybe just me. In a low tech setup, being able to tweak the dosing of ferts and light period is great though, from my experience.

Maybe just me.

Not at all, it's not really my alley either and I'm also only into low tech... Just found it and thought it's indeed cool and wanted to share it with those who have an interest in it.

Hasn’t @Zeus. got a funky control system on his set-up. Not sure if it was as complex as this but pretty sure it controlled multiple parameters. Maybe he’ll chip in!

Hasn’t @Zeus. got a funky control system on his set-up. Not sure if it was as complex as this but pretty sure it controlled multiple parameters. Maybe he’ll chip in!

Yup that's the Xiemens PLC

Into Arduino and interested in automation?

Have a look!?

But it's a tad of expert-level stuff... :)
It does look an interesting project, but seems its obselete as you cannot find any prices and on the Distrubutors page they say its no longer available.
However the software is still there to download for anyone whos interested in seeing how the code works.
https://www.cooking-hacks.com/media...ation/tutorial_open_aquarium/openaquarium.zip

Automation is great though it depends on what level you want to achieve and how much you want to spend in both time and money.

Ready made systems like the Apex are around for those who want everything, at a price !

As far as I can tell all the 'stuff' the Arduino does the PLC can do also, at a cost. Trouble with monitoring some parameters esp pH is the probe needs checking and calibrating regularly so you still have cores to do, as for auto feeder I feel they present more problems than solutions as too much is far worse than not enough.
@ian_m is top Guru on PLC's and should offer a better comparison IMO

Back