• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Converting from tap to RO procedure

You need to remineralise the ro with something. What ever you use will move the pH .

Cheers for all the replies, advice and info everyone. Much appreciated. Changed my first 5ltrs not long ago.

Following altos recommended way to change water over:

, I'm going to assume a water volume of 50 litre (assuming tank total capacity of 60l)

At present, tank is tap water with ~25GH
so if you were to do ~10% daily water changes
Day 1 remove 5l tank water & replace with RO, so 25GH x 45l/50l ~ 22.5GH
Day 2 same 5l change, so 22.5GH x 45/50 ~ 20.25 GH
Day 3 ~18.2 GH
Day 4 ~16.4 GH
Day 5 ~14.8GH
& so on, each time you are just removing 5litre tank water & replacing with 5litre RO
Day 7 ~ 12GH so easy to perform a 50% water change, refilling with a 50:50 mix of tap & RO ... or a 40:60 mix of tap & RO
At this point you can move to 20% water changes, replacing 10litre tank water with 10litre RO
At this rate, after 3 more small water changes, tank will be ~ 5GH
If this is a reasonable "target", you can now just carry on with usual water change schedule, but now refilling with your SS remineralized RO (rather than straight RO)

Everything going well I believe. As he projected my water is following nicely down wit gh/kh
I'm getting on day 4:
KH- 6
GH-16
That's a drop of approx 2units with gh and my kh has halved.

Mine is rigged up to be portable, I just followed the guys direction on his vid I posted. You need to flush the system for 5mins a day to keep from clogging etc. That's all I've been doing up to now.

I like the idea of it being portable as I only need it once a week. I don't suppose it matters though as you don't need it on 24-7 unless you want it like that. Best finding out what your water pressure is too first as like me you may need a booster pump which are around 100quid I believe. Especially with all your tanks mate lol

Have a look into the vertex ro/di units, you're not just paying for the brand. It's all in one, meaning booster pump, in line tds, auto shut off so you can connect it to a tank with a float valve and just leave it on
Also very good if you're on a water meter and need to have one as the waste produce ratio is very good.

Hi Quick, Q Does the RO unit have to be attached to the water supply all the time ???? Only I have read somewhere that they should be.Or it can damage the membranes and become less effective at filtering.

If your worried about your membrane drying out when not connected or running, you can add a shut off valve before and after it. I do this and that way you can disconnect and move the unit whenever you need to and have no worries about it.

Back