• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Converting EA Reef 1500 Pro to freshwater

Chris25

Hi all,

I've recently managed to get hold of an EA Reef Pro 1500 and want to set this up as a freshwater discus planted tank. It came with the sump which I'd like to use on the tank. I'm just wondering on the best way to use this in a freshwater setup?

I'm planing on having plants in the tank but probably only easy to grow plants (anubias, java fern, crypts etc) without co2 injection as on a tank this size I'm guessing it'll go through a lot of co2! My water is very hard and I don't want to run ro on a tank this size.

If any one has any suggestions on how to setup the sump for freshwater I'd love to hear them!

Thanks in advance.
Chris

Image of sump I have.

eareefpro-sump.jpg

My water is very hard

Be sure to source locally bred discus that are accustomed to harder water :)

Fantastic tank for discus!
(Sorry no actual sump experience so won't comment on that)

If you can manage it, go with the A360 on a tank this wide & deep - A160 (I have 2 on a 90 cm x 45cm x 53cm H tank) really only "grow" plants over a 45cm surface area .... I believe George Farmer has some video on his YouTube channel of EA1500 with the A360
You can always run the A360 at lower intensity, but if you decide you'd like more plant options (especially carpet), they'll do you

Hi,

Has anyone used the RADION XR15 FRESHWATER PRO G4? They claim to cover 36" square so I'd only need two and have found them for £250 each. Plus they have wifi connection which the kessil's don't... In my mind they seem cheaper and better but I've not seen them personally so wondering if anyone has any experience?

Thanks,
Chris

Advertising ;)

"Recommended" spread is 18 X 18 inch
Maximum spread is 36 X 36 inch

Wifi connectivity is nice but there are always reports of difficulty with the software, you may want to confirm model specifics with Ecotech before you purchase

I looked at their FW model (before G4 which claims better optics & PAR) but it came out at substantially higher cost than Kessil once everything was configured (mounting kits, software controller) & I wasn't convinced that they offered more/better PUR than Kessil, also not a fan of all the plastic housing surrounding the LED clusters ..... not to dissuade you, but check out the details before you commit :)

Back