• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my aquascape Constructive critique on my first tank

Hello, as your heater is set at 20°C, so let's say room temperature, you can pour your changing water in a bucket, leave it at room temperature for several hours, and go. The difference with the tank is low, so don't worry about that.

In the future, with fish and shrimps, if you increase the temperature in the tank to let's say 23-24°C, the best could be to buy a cheap heater to pre-heat the water in a bucket :)

I just put the conditioner in the bucket and get the water close to temp with my hand, should feel slightly cool, not cold, and not warm then fill the bucket. I used a digital thermometer for a while, but frankly Ive gotten used to what feels right.

But I dont do shrimp. maybe they are more sensitive.

As some of the folks above have said, You’ll be surprised at how accurate you can get temp just by testing with ur hand.
A little bit of dipping from bucket to tank to bucket to start out and you’ll pick up the knack real quick.

Hello, as your heater is set at 20°C, so let's say room temperature, you can pour your changing water in a bucket, leave it at room temperature for several hours, and go. The difference with the tank is low, so don't worry about that.

In the future, with fish and shrimps, if you increase the temperature in the tank to let's say 23-24°C, the best could be to buy a cheap heater to pre-heat the water in a bucket :)

I have small tanks so use a bucket for water changes & I just boil the kettle for hot water to raise the temperature. Dip my fingers in the tank (electrics off of course!) then dip in the bucket to compare temp, I'm usually within a degree of the tank reading.
With our six cats I can't leave a bucket of water containing a heater unattended for more than 30 seconds unless I want a flood!!

With small tanks I’ve always used a 25L water container, cheap to buy.
I usually fill up the day before and leave it to raise to room temp the next day ready for a WC.

I just put the conditioner in the bucket and get the water close to temp with my hand, should feel slightly cool, not cold, and not warm then fill the bucket. I used a digital thermometer for a while, but frankly Ive gotten used to what feels right.

But I dont do shrimp. maybe they are more sensitive.

As some of the folks above have said, You’ll be surprised at how accurate you can get temp just by testing with ur hand.
A little bit of dipping from bucket to tank to bucket to start out and you’ll pick up the knack real quick.

Thanks all, that makes sense! Don't know why I didn't think of just boiling some water...sometimes it's the simple solutions that you don't think of hah!

That's what the forum is about...a collection of people's thoughts, ideas & experiences not whether person a is right & person b is wrong. It's the kind of help that makes growing plants & keeping fish a real pleasure!
I must admit, I’m on other forums. More related to reef keeping. Joining UKAPS has been a breath of fresh air.

That's what the forum is about...a collection of people's thoughts, ideas & experiences not whether person a is right & person b is wrong. It's the kind of help that makes growing plants & keeping fish a real pleasure!

I must admit, I’m on other forums. More related to reef keeping. Joining UKAPS has been a breath of fresh air.

Yup, really nice experience here, very helpful community which is ace! I got myself a couple of smart plugs, using one for the lights as I wasn't too keen on the mechanical one I purchased. I've been running my light on 50% power for 6 hours a day. I can do a 6 hour automation on Homekit for 100% power, but the light has to be put on, off, then back on again within 5 seconds to activate it in 50% power mode, so not sure if I'll be able to automate it to come on at 50% but I'll try and figure it out!

Here's a wee update photo on how my tank is looking now, seems to be growing in ok? Just got an e-mail to say my second larger tank is arriving on Tuesday, need to get a filter sorted for it ASAP, thinking of going for Fluval 207, I really like this Tidal but I want a cleaner aesthetic for the larger tank.

Attachments

• IMG_5700.jpg
    IMG_5700.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 201
Here's a wee update photo on how my tank is looking now, seems to be growing in ok? Just got an e-mail to say my second larger tank is arriving on Tuesday, need to get a filter sorted for it ASAP, thinking of going for Fluval 207, I really like this Tidal but I want a cleaner aesthetic for the larger tank.
if you fit it on the back wall and add a black background it shouldn't be too noticable.

IMG_5712.jpg

Moved the tank into a small mancave that I'm making myself. Everything seems to be going relatively ok so far (don't want to jinx it!) After waiting a few weeks, my larger tank has just arrived...sadly it's 60x45x30 instead of 60x45x35, meaning I lose 15l volume. Need to decide whether to send it back and wait all over again or sort out a discount now :(

I have the exact same size tank!
If your bothered about clutter you can modify an mini oase canister filter and put a heater in there to keep the equipment down in your tank, I made a thread about it somewhere I'll try and dig it out

Attachments

• 16513495264632211828733309396855.jpg
    16513495264632211828733309396855.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 147
  • 16513495388995478279579745090415.jpg
    16513495388995478279579745090415.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 169
I have the exact same size tank!
If your bothered about clutter you can modify an mini oase canister filter and put a heater in there to keep the equipment down in your tank, I made a thread about it somewhere I'll try and dig it out

Nice your tank looks great! I'll stick with my hob for the moment as I need to cut my spending :D

Finally my nitrites are zero for the first time and I'm seeing blue on my test kit! I'll finally be adding something to the tank most likely this weekend. I think I'm going to add a single Betta :)

Attachments

• IMG_5786.jpg
    IMG_5786.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 149
Thank you! I've ended up going with shrimps (kept changing my mind between shrimps or Beta). I got some sponge to make my filter HOB shrimp safe. Bought a group of 5, sadly 1 looked like it had passed by the time I got it home. So far the rest seem to be doing ok though.

Back