• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Considering moving spray bar to back of tank.

Bertie

Hi,
I have a Rio 180 and I am considering putting a spraybar across the back of the tank to gain a better and more circular flow, using pipe from FFF. Just one question really.

When I place the spraybar do I place it above or just below the surface of the water for better flow? The tank is in the living room so if I placed above the water level I am concerned about the noise that would create.

About 25mm below the surface with holes pointing directly toward the front, the water should travel across the surface down the front along the bottom & up the back in a continuous circle .... or least that is the theory LOL
However life is not always so simple as hole spacing, hole size, pump power & planting all have effect of the overall efficiency... however you stand a good chance of getting it close if you revise enough!

Thanks foxfish.
Yes the efficiency bit does worry me, as instead of having one standard Eheim spraybar at about 34 cm or thereabouts, the power of the flow would be reduced although the turnover of lph would remain the same. Although I have the New Wave 1.6 circ pump and a small submersible pump to utilize.

Also can anyone with experience of doing diy spraybars suggest a suitable hole spacing size for say an 80cm spraybar?

I extended my spray bar right across the back of my Juwel Vision 180, using a 2nd JBL 22mm spray bar kit to go with my JBL e1500 (1500l/hr) pump. Originally, the supplied spray bar was about 20-30cm short to go all the way across the back of the tank, and it was soon pretty obvious that the plants in the "no spray bar" zone were suffering despite me messing with the Juwel internal filter output and a power head. I also noticed that detritus and other waste tended to collect under the are with no spray bar as well.

If you find the hole spacing or size on your spray bar leads to too weak a flow, you can always block holes periodically. I have spray bars across the back firing slightly down towards the front wall so the water gets pushed down and back, and I have a Hydor Pico 650lph head that makes a current across the tank underneath the spray bar flow through the middle of the "circle" if that makes sense. Gets some nice plant movement going.

Thanks lurch, I think I am understanding you. Have yet to order the pipe...not expensive at FFF but still need to get permission from her who must be obeyed!!;)

I have all pond solutions filters that use a hose close to 16/22mm. I just bought an extra outlet kit for more spray bar sections. My tank is a 120cm Rio 240, and where the inlets have to go, two bars of three sections each make effectively a continuous bar (I don't have the internal filter).

I do think that a single filter with a modest turnover will struggle to power what will be (possibly) a 70cm bar. At 45-50cm each for my bars, I wouldn't like my 1400lph filters to drive it if it was longer without blocking some holes off.

Hi Bertie! I use hydroponic stores often when it comes to fixing/modelling pipes, spraybars etc. They have parts of same size as Eheim (plus dozen other manufactures) use, but muchmuchmuch cheaper. As a long spraybar, for exampel, I use long black rigid hose with self drilled holes. This costs about 2e/m, as different kind of connectors too.

Hi,
I am using an Eheim Pro3 250 rated at 950lph and I think that my son has a Fluval 204 that he is not using that I could use on the other side but would that cause too much flow confusion?

Hi Ravenswing, that for that I will have a look.

Hi,
I am using an Eheim Pro3 250 rated at 950lph and I think that my son has a Fluval 204 that he is not using that I could use on the other side but would that cause too much flow confusion?

You could make two spray bars, and make their respective lengths relative to the filter output. It might help if you can find the filter output value rather than the rated value.

Hi, I don't know what the true value is but I think Eheim quote figure is based on loaded with media but NOT fully mature media.....If my son does not still have the Fluval 204 I could position my New Wave to go across the back so that the outlet gets a proper mix from most of the tank for filtration purposes?

The ideal of course is to have two matched filters either side at the back! But we are on pensions so that is not possible unless I win the lottery;)

It was just a thought to throw in the mix. Having a power head to ensure circulation and flow where you need it should be more than adequate, afterall, often is the case that circulation can be achieved without extra unnecessary filters, and power heads often cost less to run.

All help and suggestions are very welcome. I am finding that growing plants with CO2 very frustrating at the moment with algae,feeding,flow etc confusing to say the least. I actually feel like emptying the tank and starting over but as I have fish that is not an option. When I started the tank 6 months ago I did not intend having live plants so even my substrate is not much good as it is a fair sized gravel. But I am trying to make the best of it.

Well, a little time spent now getting it right will leave you plenty of time to enjoy it in the not too distant future.

It's not too bad to do a substrate change if you wanted to. I've done it myself, and if everything is prepared and washed before you actually walk up to the tank, the getting water and fish out, followed by the old substrate can be a fairly swift process. I'd imagine there are threads on it within this forum, just I've not had a look for any.

Hi,
My son no longer has the Fluval, so here is my plan.

I have two choices as far as I see it 1) Have a diy spray bar along the full length of the back with my two circ pumps,one at either end under the spray bar aimed at the front wall, assisting any lack of flow, and boosting turnover. The problem I see with this is that the outlet will be taking water from only one end so therefore not changing all of the water overtime.

2) Have a diy spray bar along the full length of the back but with a circ pump low down directing flow along the back towards the outlet, but will that significantly alter the circular movement of the water?
Any thoughts please?

Spray bar at back, circulation pump at opposite end to intake, positioned nearer the back wall pushing towards the inlet? Should hopefully have little effect in the circular motion then.

If you make a DIY spray bar. Ensure the area of the holes you drill are equal to or greater than the area on the original filter pipe. If you do not it will restrict your flow.

I did a custom bar. Its works a treat, get CO2 bubbles everywhere.

Hi scuttler,
Thanks for that. I am not a very practical person and to be totally honest, I am not totally sure what you exactly mean?

Back