• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Congo Tetras Slowly Dying

No help but I saw exactly the same with 10 neon dwarf rainbowfish. I have just euathanised the last one recently but over several months they dropped one by one. They would start to be less active, loose colour and then their mouth would start opening and closing quickly. The tank has had 30+ fish of other species and none have died and all the others look healthy. Parameters have always been fine.

A few of the rainbow exhibited signs of columnaris but I suspect this was secondary. Never did figure out whether it was something the rainbows were more susceptible to, whether they were already on the way out when I bought them (although I had them for months before they started dying off).

Do the Esha products contain malachite green and/or methyene blue?

ESHA 2000 (UK) - INGRED: 6.3 mg ethacridine lactate, (AKA: Rivanol, an antibacterial acridine, sometimes used to treat shigella.) 1 mg proflavin, an acridine closely related to acriflavin and used for protozoans (velvet), gram positive bacteria, and fungus. 3.2 mg Copper ++ - Treats: protozoans (ich and velvet). Note: Effective against parasites, but often toxic to fish, espceially in soft water. 0.26 mg methyl orange - a multifunctional product.

Esha Exit ACTIVE INGRED: diaminoacridine 6.3 mg, veride malachitum 0.31 mg, methylrosanilinii chloridum 0.79 mg, methylthioninii chloridum 3.98 mg ad Aqua. (basically its Acridine, Malachite Green, Meth.Violet, Meth. Blue)

BGDX by Argent (USA) - Chloramine-T. Treats: bacterial gill infections.

Personally, I have not used any of these. Acriflavine is the ingredient effective against columnaris. Chloramne T is broad spectrum antibacterial but then again it is chloramine based so certain extra amounts in the tank will wipe out the beneficial bacteria plus it can be toxic to some fish. Copper is toxic to most critters but very effective against external parasites. Generally, all those together are good for some external bacterial/fungal and external protozoan infections. None will treat internal worms/parasites or internal bacteria. Majority of fish have internal parasites/worms that trigger secondary bacterial infections.

Back