• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

complete newbie wanting advice

grimsbyred

Seedling
Hi hoping for some advice on how to get started really. Had a tropical tank for about 4 years now, just been shown this kinda thing for the 1st time so as you'd imagine I have no idea where to start. Our tank is 2ftx1ftx1ft so nothing massive but I've seen some unbelievable pics of what can be achieved. I'm on a budget to so cant afford anything mega expensive or complicated. Can anyone advise on wheres best to start. Thanks

if you are on a tight budget and dont have cash to spend on co2, lighting and substrate, then check out a book by Diane Walstad - The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium.

This should give you a good understanding and is a nice entry level into the hobby.

I agree! Don't feel that you must jump straight into hi-tech - many amzing tanks are built without massive lights and the subsequent massive nutrient loads! Look at the range of plants you can use, look for inspiration then bring them together somewhere in the middle! For me great hardscape and fish choice really has the impact in the planted aquarium, and the planting accentuates these things. You don't need CO2 to grow rocks!
Hope this helps - and welcome to the forum!
Matt

wow plenty of reading for me to do lol thanks for the replies, will I need to start my tank from scratch again or would it be possible to build it up around the fish I have?

You're actually better not starting from scratch, as you already have mature filter and substrate. Try to avoid stressing your fish by tranferring them to a holding vessel (bucket, plastic storage box etc.) with your filter and heater running whilst you do your playing around.
Cheers
M

You could be amazed at how cheap you can set up such a small high-tech planted tank. I have the same size and it cost me less than 80£ all included, lights pressurized co2, substrate plants etc...
Diana Walstad method is the wrong way to go if you want a high tech fast growing scape. Her book is a respectful work though if you want a natural habitat IMHO.

Back