• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

community tank question...

bigmel

Hi all

I,m going to keep RCS and neons , corys , and other small tetras aswell as a few small plecs , the info i,ve gained up to now suggests that most peeps don,t have a problem with the mix .

My main question is , how and what would you treat a white spot / other parisite out break with if it occured , bearing in mind the rcs being in there ?

I know what to use on a fish only tank but i know any copper added is a big No No ......

Advice please :D

Ta

I know Tom Barr used malachite green when trying to combat white spot in his tank which had no effects on shrimp.
If your worried about harm caused to the shrimp, just keep the tank temp 28 degrees for a good week or so and do regular 50% water changes. The high temp halts the white spots life cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate , i,ve got plenty of malachite green crystls so thats that covered :D

As Alastair says high temps are beneficial but rather than halting, it speeds up the life cycle of the parasite. Actively speeding up the disease may seem counter intuitive, but medications are only effective against one stage of its life cycle. So increasing the temp increases the speed at which medication is able to wipe out these horrible little free swimming creatures. It also means less meds for your shrimp to endure.

An Uv filer will clear the white spot and many other "nasties" without having to put medication in and rist the health of your shrimps.

Thanks again , i understand the life cycle of whitespot and that you can heat to high temps to distroy the tomite stage and break the cycle , but i thought RCS would not like this high temp ?

I,m a shrimp Newbie :oops:

Back