• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Collecting leaves

Danny

I'm wanting to get a good leaf litter to help with a biotope look, I'm not overly concerned about the beneficial factors such as catappa leaves have as the soil and wood should take care of most of that but more the asthectics so any will do.

I'm thinking of just heading off to the local woods, I know oak, beech etc are all fine to use but is there anything I should be on the look out for to avoid?

My personal take on it is only pic the dead leaves still hanging in the tree is safest approach, these are the cleanest.. Look out for younger smaller trees, these grow usualy at the edge of the forest, smack in the middle young trees have to much shade and competition, there you likely only find the old big boys.. All that's on the forest floor, you don't realy know how many dogs peep on it and or don't know how long they are on the floor. Can contain fungus spores, laying around getting and staying moist for days.

Small trees also have loads of very small leaves, so in case of decorative purpose picking these can give a beter scalling contrast to the scape depending on tank size. At least that's what i noticed in smaller tanks.. For example a 10cm leaf in a 90cm aqaurium takes up already 10% of the space and looks kinda out of place sticking out like a sore thumb.. In a 60cm tank even more.. Than a 3 to 4 cm leaf lovely falls into place with the rest.. :)

Thanks guys, I figured it best to give them a covering of boiling water to be safe so fallen leaves shouldn't be a problem.

I did think about breaking them up for scale too as you're totally right Zozo.

I know i'm a nerd, i also do cut little leave shapes out of the big catapa's with scissors if i have nothing else.. :rolleyes:

Back