• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Collecting free hardscape for cichlid tank

MrClockOff

Hi all,

This is the follow up of my another
Thread 'Tanganyika biotopish scape'
Tanganyika biotopish scape

So the plan is to use rocks or stones collected locally from the sea shore or from the river, some aquarium sand from LFS and the only plants I plan to have is Vallisneria.

The question is should I be concerned about anything?

• I think I should not worry about limescale from the stones as it will be beneficial to raise water hardness and PH which Tanganyika cichlids will appreciate.
  • should I prepare stones in any particular way or just simple rinse would be enough?

Cheers
Daniel

Interesting geology around Portland Island. It is one of the few places where you can collect decent large crystals. However, be aware that these crystals are in fact a form of rock salt, and your fish probably wouldn't like elevated levels of that. They are within the "beach truffles" but you can also find them as broken cavities, so perhaps bring a geology hammer if you have one and you want to collect them. You might still find them interesting to collect as non-aquarium objet d'art. If you target the marked paths, then there may be a few decent examples mixed-in with the scree that nobody has collected yet. Wear a helmet elsewhere because the area is well known for rock falls.

Consider hydrocarbon pollution from washed up oil spills, and target rocks further up the beach slope. Again, wear a helmet if you go near the cliffs, especially near the clay stone cliffs that look inviting! They are notorious.
The clay stones have lots of fossils in them too. I am not a Lake Tan aquarist, so I do not know about the Portland limestone. Somebody else will be able to help.

This is what I've found a while ago on Tanganyika water:
Tanganyika_water.png
Note the relatively low content of calcium in relation to magnesium, potassium, and most of all, sodium.
As far as I know, most Tanganyika species do not require exactly this water. What they hate are changes in mineral composition. But if you are about to attempt keeping more problematic species, you might find this analysis handy. :)

Interesting geology around Portland Island. It is one of the few places where you can collect decent large crystals. However, be aware that these crystals are in fact a form of rock salt, and your fish probably wouldn't like elevated levels of that. They are within the "beach truffles" but you can also find them as broken cavities, so perhaps bring a geology hammer if you have one and you want to collect them. You might still find them interesting to collect as non-aquarium objet d'art. If you target the marked paths, then there may be a few decent examples mixed-in with the scree that nobody has collected yet. Wear a helmet elsewhere because the area is well known for rock falls.

Consider hydrocarbon pollution from washed up oil spills, and target rocks further up the beach slope. Again, wear a helmet if you go near the cliffs, especially near the clay stone cliffs that look inviting! They are notorious.
The clay stones have lots of fossils in them too. I am not a Lake Tan aquarist, so I do not know about the Portland limestone. Somebody else will be able to help.
thank you for the comment on this. I’m software developer and definitely not geologist 😁 But if I understand correctly I have to know exactly what I’m doing while picking hardscape in Portland. I’m not confident at all..not sure where else I could look for aquarium suitable rocks in Dorset county?

This is what I've found a while ago on Tanganyika water:
View attachment 190736
Note the relatively low content of calcium in relation to magnesium, potassium, and most of all, sodium.
As far as I know, most Tanganyika species do not require exactly this water. What they hate are changes in mineral composition. But if you are about to attempt keeping more problematic species, you might find this analysis handy. :)
Interesting, thanks. My water params straight from the tap are perfect match except that it’s Ca dominated. No Mg at all..
I’m looking to keep shell dwellers as they are the only cichlids which will fit into my tiny 160L tank.

My original idea was to copy this and Scottish cobbles would suit perfectly but I’m not sure where to find them for free. So though maybe I can find something interesting in Portland and change my vision.

My tap water has 15GH and 10KH. GH is all from Ca according to my water report. This is why I thought limescale won’t be a problem and @dw1305 just confirmed that.

Thank you for your opinions

My original idea was to copy this and Scottish cobbles would suit perfectly but I’m not sure where to find them for free.

Scotland, but I don’t think it’s looked too kindly on.

If you’re in Norfolk, you basically get the water you’re after from the tap 😅

Just found these while walking on the Bournemouth beach. Nothing happened when spilled vinegar on them. Do they look alright for using in fish tank? No idea what are they made of.. 😁

Attachments

• F83A8730-42A8-4F3E-AB89-779B731CCCAA.jpeg
    F83A8730-42A8-4F3E-AB89-779B731CCCAA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 108
Apparently you can’t just help yourself to sand or pebbles from a public beach:

Back