• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cold water Fish for paludarium.

Jaseon

Looking for some critter ideas for my small paly. I was looking into trying a few sticklebacks. I just swapped out the old substrate for some river sand, and raised the glass front for more volume. Ill be adding some leaves in there, and other things of interest.
paly.jpg

Really cool setup. I've not kept sticklebacks but @MirandaB has/does. How big is the tank and what sort of temp is it running at? as that might change your fish choices.

Really cool setup. I've not kept sticklebacks but @MirandaB has/does. How big is the tank and what sort of temp is it running at? as that might change your fish choices.

Thanks. This is my first go of doing one and was more to find out how to route the filter, and waterfall. I do plan on doing something a lot bigger. Its 24ltr but obviously with the land area it work out at just over 5ltr/ 1.3gallons. The temps at the moment are reading around 65F, and i know that will drop through the night as its unheated. Im running a small canister on it. I did orginaly want to just have a waterfall, and could have easily just put a simple pump in, but thought of something better just incase i wanted to add some small fish. I obviously have to be careful of what i can have size, and stocking levels wise so im aware of its limitations.

20220114_153841.jpg
20220114_155610.jpg

I was thinking of some white cloud minnows. Temps 60 F (15 C)

2F07%2Fwhite-cloud-mountain-minnow2-e1595828366449.jpg

Hi all,

I think they would be good, but only in a larger water volume. Sticklebacks are definitely much too big. I could only really recommend shrimps.

cheers Darrel
I was thinking shrimp as well so im happy to go with them. I guessed it would be too small for fish, and maybe best to keep it on the safe side.

I keep cherry shrimps, crystal shrimps and rice fish in a 23L with no heater and they do well, but I don't think 5l is enough for the rice fish.

Really nice little tank, looking forward to seeing it more grown in, and can't wait to see the future bigger version!! If I had a setup like this (but bigger) I would keep some stiphondon gobies.

I keep cherry shrimps, crystal shrimps and rice fish in a 23L with no heater and they do well, but I don't think 5l is enough for the rice fish.

Really nice little tank, looking forward to seeing it more grown in, and can't wait to see the future bigger version!! If I had a setup like this (but bigger) I would keep some stiphondon gobies.
Yeah i have shrimp as well, and happy to go with them in this. This did have a large hart tongue fern, but i cut it down to start some new growth. The fronds on it were huge, and the roots have grown down into the water. There not much more i can do growth wise with plants being so small, but there are few mosses in there, and small ferns.

Now i know how to build the land area, and hook up the filtration i cant wait to build something on a larger scale...something like this,
%2F17%2F13%2Fa9%2F1713a9d738702ec9103e9bb2c32ced79.jpg

Heres a pic the the harts fern, and it was twice the size of this.

harts.jpg

Just as another option, have you considered adding some leaf litter to the bottom and collecting some pond critters - you could add freshwater shrimp (can't remember the name someone will know), daphnia, snails, etc. so there was lots to spot. I agree, I wouldn't keep fish in such a small volume.

Just as another option, have you considered adding some leaf litter to the bottom and collecting some pond critters - you could add freshwater shrimp (can't remember the name someone will know), daphnia, snails, etc. so there was lots to spot. I agree, I wouldn't keep fish in such a small volume.
I will add a few leaves in there seeing im going with shrimp. There's a few pond snails in there, and i top it up with them from another tank.

With that small a volume of water then shrimp are really the only option :)
As already mentioned Sticklebacks are too big and also very feisty come breeding time,WCMM are also very active fish so they're a no unfortunately.
Ive always liked the idea of trying native fish like sticklebacks fascinating fish. I am definitely going to try them in a bigger set up.

I'd second the medaka rice fish suggestion. I find mine adorable, in a planter. They live in paddy rice ditches and are kept in quite small pots/planters in Japan. I think they'd adore that set up. They are hardy and make friends with their keepers more than almost any other fish I know. If you are ever in Edinburgh I have some of the platinum that you can have. They are quite small. They have bred once for me. Another species is Least Killifish. They are quite slow, and not as attractive, but also hardy. With the medaka potentially you could have a planter for them to use in Summer, if you can accommodate that – in a garden, on a landing, on a verandah?

Attachments

• 93B9AA76-00F0-4C88-A14C-9C432B36DD31.jpeg
    93B9AA76-00F0-4C88-A14C-9C432B36DD31.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 119
Btw what about triops?
Ive never seen them before. They remind me of horse shoe crabs, and as old as them by the sounds. Are they safe with shrimp as just read... they are also given living shrimp and daphnia as live prey in the aquarium.

Ive never seen them before. They remind me of horse shoe crabs, and as old as them by the sounds. Are they safe with shrimp as just read... they are also given living shrimp and daphnia as live prey in the aquarium.

They are very partial to carrot, can't speak for shrimp 🤷‍♂️

I did think the tank looked a little small for fish hence the question. It's quite nice setting up unheated tanks in winter because it gives you a good idea of the minimum temperature you can expect but in the summer it will get quite a bit warmer if it's similar to those I've kept myself.

Back