• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 straight to intake = dead bacteria potential?

According to gas laws CO2 and O2 dissolve independently, thus CO2 does not affect O2 levels.

CO2 does attack rubber though so keep an eye on all the filter seals.

Cheers Ian. I was more concerned with a decrease in pH within the filter.

You hear and read so many things that turn your trail of thought.....

As Ian pointed out there is the potential to mess the seals up in theroy, but I have also read of folks who have had the CO2 to the intake of the filter for years and no issues, it will also be dependant on how much of a pH drop and relative [CO2] you have too, but even if fitted on the outlet of the filter there will also be a pH drop on the inlet and the canister but not as great OFC

I have done it for 2 months now. Plants are growing good as ever and its nice not having to see all the micro bubbles all the time - that for me alone is worth it. From time to time the filter can make a little more noise than usual from the gas building up inside it, but it's easily solved by leaving the filter off for a couple of minutes before it burbs out the air pockets. I'm yet to see any tear at all on the sealings of the filter, even though I run co2 at a pretty high rate; Lime-yellow drop checker throughout the photo period.

Autotrophic bacteria support a certain range of pH and use CO2 also as a source for self organic substances synthesis. If O2 is there, no problem will occur up to a serious drop of it. Besides this, flow rate of the water don't aloud a saturation of the internal filter convention hall with anything in excess.

Thanks all.

I will make the necessary adjustments when I get home.

Regards

CJ

Back