• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 regulator leak fix

gcodrutv

Member
Joined
2 May 2019
Messages
65
Location
Dublin, Ireland
Due my recent issues with the Co2 regulator, I would like to share my experience and maybe somebody will find it useful and save some time looking for a solution.

Please note:
This is what worked in my own case, and could be different for other brands/models.
Proceed on your own risk and I will not be responsible if you damage your regulator or injure yourself.


My old (8 years) Co2 regulator developed a small leak and a 2kg Co2 bottle got empty in less than 24h.
Co2Art friendly tech support provided some guidance and used loads of soapy water, but no luck. As last resort, dunk the entire bottle with regulator attached in water and leak discovered. (highlighted in red).

front.jpg


Tools needed:
Vice
Spanner 12mm (could be different for other regulators)
2 small pieces of plywood
Brass wire brush (I used a Dremmel, but not necesary) do not use steel wire brush
Loctite 542

Masking/painter tape (any type)
Can with compressed air Vacuum cleaner
Isopropyl alcohol (IPA)
Lint free cloth + cotton buds
1/8NPT tap - Optional, but not necessary to clean female treads on regulator body
Needle or very sharp tweezers


Step 1:

Secure regulator in a vice (preferable attached to a workbench) and use the 2 small pieces of plywood to protect the regulator body from damage.

body.jpg


Step 2:

Remove both gauges this will give you a better grip to remove the tail.
In my case was leaking and had to be resealed.
Be advised that is very tight and I used an extension on the spanner to break the seal.

Step 3:

After each component is removed, protect the end with masking tape to prevent any dirt/debris falling in.
stem.jpg


Step 4:

Once all components are been removed, use the brass wire brush, clean all threads of the old sealant and clean all surfaces with alcohol.
I used god few q-tips before the surfaces become spotless clean.
Patience is a must, will take some time to clean it.
Blow off any residue with compressed air.
Use vacuum cleaner to remove any debris and make sure all ports are clean.
I used a 1/8NPT tap to clean the threads on the regulator body (gauges) and a very pointy tweezers for the stem threads.
Always keep the hole upside down and any debris will fall out, not in. Always use vacuum cleaner to tidy up and make sure the holes are not blocked.
If a tap is been used, do not not use the lever to drive the tap, only by hand. Do not force it, otherwise threads can be damaged and regulator becomes scrap .


Top gauge with old seal residue, bottom one has been cleaned. All surfaces must be spotless otherwise the seal will fail.

Same applies for the regulator body.

gauge.jpg


Step 5:

Once all threads are fully cleaned and degreased, apply Loctite only on the gauges and stem, one at a time.
Reinsert the gauges and stem and fully tighten.

Use the 2 small pieces of plywood to protect the regulator when you put it back in the vice.
Allow at least 36-48h before you test for leaks.

After the new seal has fully dried, connect the regulator to the bottle (use a new washer), open the bottle valve to add pressure in the high pressure chamber and adjust the working pressure to at least 60-70psi (this will check for leaks on the low pressure side). Close both needle valve and bottle valve to prevent any Co2 waste.
Read the initial high and low pressure (take a photo) and leave it like this for 24h.

If no change after 24h, success, all leaks fixed.
In case of any pressure drop, just dunk the entire bottle in water to see were is the leak and repeat the process described above.


Hope it helps
Gabriel
 
Last edited:
Few small updates on the process.
Any questions please feel free to ask.
 
Back
Top