• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 reactor

Scaperinc

Hi All , I am currently using inline co2 diffuser, I want to try a co2 reactor for 50p or a 45p any recommendations?

I have biomaster 250 for 50p and fluval 107 for 45p

OK, not a CO2 guy, but my thoughts:
  1. The 250 will never put out 1000L/Hour. I suspect the 850 would just about do that consistently.
  2. Would you have enough space (or would it even make sense) to have reactor CO2 on a separate loop? (i.e. what I did with my UV with an external pump making the loop).

The reactor requires at lest 1000l/h
That's a misleading statement. Why would a reactor require specifically 1000l/h?
When designing or chosing a commercial CO2 rector, the tank size is your primary starting point. You can work your way around with the filter. Also, CO2 reactors can actually be optimized, specially if you design it yourself.
I used to run a CO2 reactor with an Oase Filtosmart 200 on a 60L tank no problemo.
The proof is in the pudding:
IMG_8315.jpg
Early stages of an aborted scape. Looks to me plants were growing just fine with that filter+reactor combo:
IMG_8245 copy.JPG

Hi mate , one like you have in picture 1 I can get off aliexpress for £20 , workings wise is there any cons to having a reactor on lets say 60L tank? Also are those 16/22 mm pipes you are using?

[...] workings wise is there any cons to having a reactor on lets say 60L tank?
Well that's what I used it on, so no. <I did do a mod to the reactor> to make it more efficient and to reduce CO2 accumulation on the top. I didn't do the best job of all times but it worked. It could be improved.
Also, I don't think it's the best reactor out there.
<My homemade reactor> was more efficient though so I switched back.

Also are those 16/22 mm pipes you are using?
Looks like 😉
Screen Shot 2024-07-09 at 19.32.37.jpg

Last edited:
That's a misleading statement. Why would a reactor require specifically 1000l/h?
When designing or chosing a commercial CO2 rector, the tank size is your primary starting point. You can work your way around with the filter. Also, CO2 reactors can actually be optimized, specially if you design it yourself.
I used to run a CO2 reactor with an Oase Filtosmart 200 on a 60L tank no problemo.
The proof is in the pudding:
View attachment 220967
Early stages of an aborted scape. Looks to me plants were growing just fine with that filter+reactor combo:
View attachment 220968
I`m sorry for misleading. Just from my personal expierence did not had success with pumps lower than 1000 l/h. Nice looking tank!

Hi mate , one like you have in picture 1 I can get off aliexpress for £20 , workings wise is there any cons to having a reactor on lets say 60L tank? Also are those 16/22 mm pipes you are using?
It's GLA reactor that a few people use (me included). Works well with my BioMaster 600. I actually use an inline diffuser before the reactor and use the reactor to completely dissolve the CO2. Zero mist or bubbles in the tank. I use the designed CO2 inlet to bleed the reactor after filter maintenance to let out any air.

did not had success with pumps lower than 1000 l/h
Well unless you are running quite a large tank I can understand but flow in CO2 reactors should actually be slowed down so that CO2 has time to dissolve. That's why in some commercial reactors you have a bypass to allow flow to be reduced. It also depends on the setup etc etc.

It's GLA reactor that a few people use (me included). Works well with my BioMaster 600. I actually use an inline diffuser before the reactor and use the reactor to completely dissolve the CO2. Zero mist or bubbles in the tank. I use the designed CO2 inlet to bleed the reactor after filter maintenance to let out any air.
Have you got a link to where I can buy it?

Back