• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 rate

john arnold

Hey
Been having bit of an algae problem of late so adjusting co2, now i keep seeing 2 bubble per second 3 bubbles per second etc etconline forums , i run mine at god knows its like 6 its too fast to count, to get a lime green drop checker
Co2 comes on 2/3 hrs before lights and off hour before lights go off, lights on 8 hours and ei dosing
My drop checker is on opposite side of filter outlet, all plamts moving so good flow
Am i doing this wrong?
I feel like going back to basics low tech approach as a bit pissed off with the algae
Any ideas
Cheers

Bubble count doesn't say much, bubble size, tank size, rate of evaporation of CO2 all have effect. A pH profile would give better info, full tank shot and details about flow, mwthod of disolving etc give more info.

How big is a bubble? - something I read a long time ago and it's true, the bubble size all depends on the counter.

First off I would cut the lighting to 7 hours; maybe less.
What lighting are you using and if adjustable what intensity do you have it set to?

Moving your drop checker around the tank is always a good idea as it may vary.

Spending the time to do a CO2 profile many will argue is the best way to know exactly how your CO2 is performing; there is plenty of info on how to do this on the forum but essentially you are looking to get a drop of 1PH in your aquarium water.
Buying either a cheap PH meter from amazon/ebay as many do or investing in a quality one e.g. Hanna is upto you.

I think posting info about your aquarium, CO2 injection method, lighting, filtration etc and some pictures would also help; many on the forum better equipped with knowledge than me.
Inhabitants might be useful too.

Bubble count doesn't say much, bubble size, tank size, rate of evaporation of CO2 all have effect. A pH profile would give better info, full tank shot and details about flow, mwthod of disolving etc give more info.
How big is a bubble? - something I read a long time ago and it's true, the bubble size all depends on the counter.

First off I would cut the lighting to 7 hours; maybe less.
What lighting are you using and if adjustable what intensity do you have it set to?

Moving your drop checker around the tank is always a good idea as it may vary.

Spending the time to do a CO2 profile many will argue is the best way to know exactly how your CO2 is performing; there is plenty of info on how to do this on the forum but essentially you are looking to get a drop of 1PH in your aquarium water.
Buying either a cheap PH meter from amazon/ebay as many do or investing in a quality one e.g. Hanna is upto you.

I think posting info about your aquarium, CO2 injection method, lighting, filtration etc and some pictures would also help; many on the forum better equipped with knowledge than me.
Inhabitants might be useful too.
Ok ill have to get the ph tool and time to do ph profile
But for now if it helps
140l
Oase 350t filter
Pressurised co2 with inline diffuser
Twinstar 600 ea no options to change intensity, ridiculous as its nit a cheap light
Ei fertilisers from aquariumplantfood.co.uk
50% water change a week
12 cardinals
8 octos
2 apistogrammas
5 Celestial pearl danios
Shrimp
Ill order a ph tester now
Had a load of stag horn which i mostly cut out so not as bad now but now green hair algae
This was ok for about 3 months, tank 4 months old now
Many thanks people

Twinstar 600 ea no options to change intensity, ridiculous as its nit a cheap light
I agree they should come with some control built in but they don't.
There are a couple of ways to do this easily by adding an inline dimmer and would guess this is causing at least some of your problems.
Hinterfield done a great little unit which was a timer and dimmer in one but they are now not trading; you can get a simple inline dimmer from @Aquarium Gardens if that's all you want.
You can find ones similar to what the hinterfield one was but I've no experience of them below is an example but untried.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07K6H6...&colid=GS405Z948S2V&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

I agree they should come with some control built in but they don't.
There are a couple of ways to do this easily by adding an inline dimmer and would guess this is causing at least some of your problems.
Hinterfield done a great little unit which was a timer and dimmer in one but they are now not trading; you can get a simple inline dimmer from @Aquarium Gardens if that's all you want.
You can find ones similar to what the hinterfield one was but I've no experience of them below is an example but untried.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07K6H6...&colid=GS405Z948S2V&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
Ok ill order one now
Cheers

Chee
AG now have the Twinstar controllers. similar to the hinterfield one..

Not on the website yet so give Dave a call if you want one.[/QUO
Cheers
I already ordered one from aquarium gardens now, hopefully get here soon

Ok got the twinstar dimmer and put it down 2 notches, have to wait and see, should i continue with normsl dose or fertilizers ?

Back