• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 or not?

Looneeyy

I've got a 46L fluval edge, I'm about to put plants in, standard lighting etc, would like dwarf grass but not sure if I can? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I planted dhg with and without co2. Must have co2 to grow. Not sure about excel

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

okay brilliant thank you just don't know anything about co2

okay brilliant thank you just don't know anything about co2

Building are built by bricks, in plants carbon dioxide are the building blocks. If building material are abundant then building speed will be faster. If plants got lots of co2, it will grow faster. Of course plants also need other building block such as nitrate to build protein, phosphate, potassium and some other materials.

Building are built by bricks, in plants carbon dioxide are the building blocks. If building material are abundant then building speed will be faster. If plants got lots of co2, it will grow faster. Of course plants also need other building block such as nitrate to build protein, phosphate, potassium and some other materials.

I've got some Nutrasoil and some either black sand or gravel for substrate, then dragon stone for the hard scape but it's just choosing what plants because I'd like moss and DGH just unsure on how to keep hahah

I think if you really into this a co2 system is a must, really help a lot and give more options. Just don't forget to dose with fertiliser.

I think if you really into this a co2 system is a must, really help a lot and give more options. Just don't forget to dose with fertiliser.

Yeah 100% want to have a nice planted tank so want the plants to do the best! Thank you!
Is there a post anywhere suggesting co2 set ups & ferts?

Last edited:
I deffo haven't got £130 to spend on my tank yet oh god! And the dosing with dry salts seem tooooo complicated for me :(
£130 is for the "mutts nuts" version of course.

I paid £45 for regulator from CO2supermarket. Like this.
http://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/co2...id-magnetic-valve-horizontal-valves-p181.html

You get your get your inline diffuser & CO2 tubing from them as well.

You need to source some 2Kg fire extinguishers. I phoned up the numbers on the extinguishers at work, post office, library etc and get mine delivered for £10 a go.

As for ferts, you mix up using spoons and water as in the videio and add daily. Simple.

http://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/co2...id-magnetic-valve-horizontal-valves-p181.html

You need to source some 2Kg fire extinguishers. I phoned up the numbers on the extinguishers at work, post office, library etc and get mine delivered for £10 a go.

As for ferts, you mix up using spoons and water as in the videio and add daily. Simple.

Brilliant thank you, really appreciate it!

Does vertical and horizontal matter as they've sold out of horizontal

You could use the vertical one (ask CO2supermarket) but gauges will be on their side and CO2 pipe leaves vertically. Will work, but may look odd (ask CO2supermarket).

You could use the vertical one (ask CO2supermarket) but gauges will be on their side and CO2 pipe leaves vertically. Will work, but may look odd (ask CO2supermarket).

Thank you again!

I'll comment on here just in case we are accused of thread hijacking lol.

In terms of fertilisers, by far the cheapest, most effective and easiest way is to use dry ferts. If you order a estimated index starter kit from APF (Aquarium Plant Food) it comes with all you need to get started, and a standard recipe.

http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fertilisers/ei-starter-kit.html

You just mix the recipe with boiled and cooled water and then dose daily. On your Fluval Edge, it will last for many months, put over a year.

The only thing I'm thinking is that those tanks are quite tall with not the best lighting. So I'd either do low light plants or increase the lightning.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Must have co2 to grow.

Not true.. :) You must have patience, lots of patience.. But it definitively grows in low tech..
DSCF8181.jpg

That's what co2 does :) it spoils your patience.. But if you like a carpet in a few weeks you must have co2 indeed. If you like a dense carpet without co2 in shortest time possible, few months, you could consider dwarf sagitarria, grows much shorter in low tech but in comparisson it makes runners like speedy gonzales.. Hair grass in low teg is more for accenting or feathering edges and keep it under control.. Tho i would like to come back on that in about 1 or 2 years time, till now i have no long term experience with low tech hair grass.. But if it lives for 6 months it will live on for the comming years. :)

I'll comment on here just in case we are accused of thread hijacking lol.

In terms of fertilisers, by far the cheapest, most effective and easiest way is to use dry ferts. If you order a estimated index starter kit from APF (Aquarium Plant Food) it comes with all you need to get started, and a standard recipe.

http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fertilisers/ei-starter-kit.html

You just mix the recipe with boiled and cooled water and then dose daily. On your Fluval Edge, it will last for many months, put over a year.

The only thing I'm thinking is that those tanks are quite tall with not the best lighting. So I'd either do low light plants or increase the lightning.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Yeah I think that will be my issue as I want dwarf hair grass and moss on the bottom which lighting may cause issues but I've not seen anyone modify the light for it?

Not true.. :) You must have patience, lots of patience.. But it definitively grows in low tech..
View attachment 96833

That's what co2 does :) it spoils your patience.. But if you like a carpet in a few weeks you must have co2 indeed. If you like a dense carpet without co2 in shortest time possible, few months, you could consider dwarf sagitarria, grows much shorter in low tech but in comparisson it makes runners like speedy gonzales.. Hair grass in low teg is more for accenting or feathering edges.. Tho i would like to come back on that in about 1 or 2 years time, till now i have no long term experience with low tech hair grass.. But if it lives for 6 months it will live on for the comming years. :)

Thank you!! I think I'll get co2 and have it on a low amount, because some say don't need it use ferts, some say need co2 with surely a low amount of co2 and some ferts with do just as good, bit like a in between?

Back