• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 or Lighting first?

andy198712

Hi,

I've had a planted aquarium for a few years now, also liquid CO2 and ferts, just ON/OFF lighting.

I'm now an EI ferts convert, for the cost if anything.

But want to switch to a more complex setup, and wondering wether to start with injected CO2 first or should I buy a programable light first? I current have a LEDDY tube running, and its wrapped in window privacy film to dim it down to keep BBA at bay, and only one of my two tubes on.

as I can't justify buying both a CO2 setup and a costly light all at once, which would you do first?

its 200L tank 100cm wide and close to 50cm deep I'll add a picture

Currently has java ferns, floating plants, reopens, valis and a couple others all growing fairly slowly

Cheers
Andy

Picture

Attachments

• A20DA183-115D-4648-A026-6926992C49EB.jpeg
    A20DA183-115D-4648-A026-6926992C49EB.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 122
Also if having algea issues just reduce your photo period to no more than 6 hours. And perform regular water changes and filter maintenance.

co2. more light will just invite more problems for a tank that already has algae issues.
Also if having algea issues just reduce your photo period to no more than 6 hours. And perform regular water changes and filter maintenance.

It was a very good balance but just moved house ( and the tank) and its caused a small increase in BBA (was very very minimal) everything is the same, think it was the move and also I used to have a full cover of floating plants over the top, thus lower light levels, and I removed all that and tried wrapping the lights in the privacy material.
which in effect increased light intensity.
This is my cause I feel? also filter went a bit longer without a clean as I wanted to keep the "dirty" filters in there after the move to help.

its settling again now :)
might drop the light from 7 hours to 6 though to help as you say

Complete honest answer, looking at you’re image If justifying one or the other is a hurdle then I’d say don’t buy either.
Spend your money on more, easy to keep plants.

The benefits: more balance in your tank, will help outcompete algae, give the tank a more mature appearance.

Complete honest answer, looking at you’re image If justifying one or the other is a hurdle then I’d say don’t buy either.

The benefits: more balance in your tank, will help outcompete algae, give the tank a more mature appearance.
Yeah that’s a fair comment. I have the money sat aside in my “hobby fund” but £300 or so is a fair chunk to drop in one go on a hobby like this I feel? Hence thinking I would get one, adjust to, then get the other so I don’t shock them tank with too many huge changes at once?

In my head I was thinking if I get an. Adjustable light it wouldn’t matter if I had or didn’t have co2 as I could make the lighting work for both?!

I’m open to thoughts and ideas though :)

My tank isn’t a master peice it’s more a tank with plants instead of a well groomed scape I guess

@andy198712 your tank doesn’t have to be a masterpiece, you’re the only person who has to like it.
I’d say buy more plants and a cheaper light.
Co2 and powerful lights are great, but they’re not a necessity to enjoy this hobby.

If you want a high tech setup then do it slowly, but if you just want something you can casually enjoy, then do the above.
Watch MD fish tanks on YouTube, he’s great for low cost tank builds that look high tech but are budget friendly.

+1 :thumbup:

CO2 injection can create more problems than it solves, getting more flow in tank often requires a filter upgrade or power head fitting, then getting a Stable CO2 concentration from lights on till CO2 off can be tricky and often requires pH testing so will need a pH papers or a pH pen plus testing every 30mins. So save some money time and effort and buy some more easy plants and just dose a low EI dose

CO2 injection can create more problems than it solves, getting more flow in tank often requires a filter upgrade or power head fitting, then getting a Stable CO2 concentration from lights on till CO2 off can be tricky and often requires pH testing so will need a pH papers or a pH pen plus testing every 30mins. So save some money time and effort and buy some more easy plants and just dose a low EI dose

As above, I would say, first ask yourself what your goal is. Co2 injection isn’t a goal in itself so are there any ‘OMG I just have to grow that’ plants, that you neeed to have in your life and do these need Co2 to grow well. Or, are you intrigued by the process of Co2 injection and the challenge of getting it working for you and your tank (it certainly can be a challenge! 😏) If not, question answered, do neither. There are lots of amazing and beautiful low tech tanks out there. Buy plants, play with hardscape, enjoy them, maybe even get cool lights later, just because you like the colour.

If Co2 is a ‘must have’ to float your boat then Co2 first, lights later if you need them, would be my advice.

@andy198712 your tank doesn’t have to be a masterpiece, you’re the only person who has to like it.
I’d say buy more plants and a cheaper light.
Co2 and powerful lights are great, but they’re not a necessity to enjoy this hobby.

If you want a high tech setup then do it slowly, but if you just want something you can casually enjoy, then do the above.
Watch MD fish tanks on YouTube, he’s great for low cost tank builds that look high tech but are budget friendly.

I think that's what ill do, seen the WRGB11 slim on eBay for under £100, the app isn't as good as the Fluval Plant option but its half the price...
I'll have to have a look at his videos! cheers :)

yeah I have read that, and things go wrong quicker it seems! I've got a 307 filter and 2000 ltr/hr power head (admitantly I keep it turned down as max turns the tank into a whirl pool)
I currently dose 30ml a day from the starter EI kit (says do 40mls)
Thanks for the input, been pondering over the comments for a day

As above, I would say, first ask yourself what your goal is. Co2 injection isn’t a goal in itself so are there any ‘OMG I just have to grow that’ plants, that you neeed to have in your life and do these need Co2 to grow well. Or, are you intrigued by the process of Co2 injection and the challenge of getting it working for you and your tank (it certainly can be a challenge! 😏) If not, question answered, do neither. There are lots of amazing and beautiful low tech tanks out there. Buy plants, play with hardscape, enjoy them, maybe even get cool lights later, just because you like the colour.

If Co2 is a ‘must have’ to float your boat then Co2 first, lights later if you need them, would be my advice.
yeah good points, not really a must have, more the challenge I guess? that pretty much nailed it for me, I don't need it for my plants. might go adjustable light, then see how I feel down the line

I think that's what ill do, seen the WRGB11 slim on eBay for under £100, the app isn't as good as the Fluval Plant option but its half the price...
I'll have to have a look at his videos! cheers :)
I purchased one, highly sceptical as it’s really cheap in comparison to RRP. But it’s the real deal and had no issues. (Disclaimer, it’s not actually illuminating any plants yet, I just have it sat on an empty tank)

I purchased one, highly sceptical as it’s really cheap in comparison to RRP. But it’s the real deal and had no issues. (Disclaimer, it’s not actually illuminating any plants yet, I just have it sat on an empty tank)
Yeah I am too but it looks like it checks out….!

Ordered one, the RGB2 slim,
should be here Thursday, brought some more plants too, will add a pic tomorrow

Ordered one, the RGB2 slim,

should be here Thursday, brought some more plants too, will add a pic tomorrow
Really nice light, the app is nice and easy. The only thing I will say is, expect a scuff or two.
Chihiros quality control isn’t great, there’s other cases of brand new lights having a mark or two.
I’ll leave it for you to decide if you can live with that. (I’m happy enough)

Really nice light, the app is nice and easy. The only thing I will say is, expect a scuff or two.
Chihiros quality control isn’t great, there’s other cases of brand new lights having a mark or two.
I’ll leave it for you to decide if you can live with that. (I’m happy enough)
Good to know, it won’t bother me. If it was really bad I’d touch it up with pen or paint anyways.
Got the app but till I link a light I can’t play too much. Started a thread about under the lid in lighting section.
Thanks for the help 👍🏼

Back