• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 fire extinguisher, any risk ?

eminor

Hello, i've used 3-4 co2 FE in the past, all of them worked perfectly, but they were young 2-3 years, I can have a lot of FE, but they are old, 10 Yo, they look really good, no problem, it's 2kg co2, there is still the fill pressure in it, is there a risk to use expired FE ? thx

I don’t think so.

I buy expired fire extinguishers and use them for my co2, as do many others.

I’ve used fire extinguishers that are last tested in 2010 before with no problems.

Expired in the UK, means that the owner hasn’t kept up to the servicing and inspections, and therefore it’s no longer legal to use the fire extinguisher in a business anymore.

I would say that it is perfectly safe, as long as there is no physical damage to the cannisters

I've queried this myself of three separate fire extinguisher companies and they all claim out of date extinguishers are safe for aquariums and home brewing, with the proviso they're not damaged in anyway. However, they won't refill them.

thanks guys, there is an example of one of my co2 FE, There are a few blows, nothing too risky ?
thx

Attachments

• 20210205_161019 (2).jpg
    20210205_161019 (2).jpg
    673 KB · Views: 133
  • 20210205_161049.jpg
    20210205_161049.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 136
  • 20210205_161210.jpg
    20210205_161210.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 132
Expiration date is down to the pressure directive. A constant pressure holding vessel should be emptied, serviced and tested every ten years. However, this is a very safety conscious approach as it applies to all pressure vessels such as bottles that get thrown around welding shops or extinguishant systems in the pontoons of semi submersible rigs. A CO2 fire extinguisher will be fine for many years to come as long as it isn't physically damaged, which yous isn't.

Expiration date is down to the pressure directive. A constant pressure holding vessel should be emptied, serviced and tested every ten years. However, this is a very safety conscious approach as it applies to all pressure vessels such as bottles that get thrown around welding shops or extinguishant systems in the pontoons of semi submersible rigs. A CO2 fire extinguisher will be fine for many years to come as long as it isn't physically damaged, which yous isn't.
so for you on my pictures, the fire extinguisher is considered damaged?

so for you on my pictures, the fire extinguisher is considered damaged?

I personally would not consider these as damaged, in any meaningful way. A couple of tiny chips to the paint only.

As Dave said above, pressurised canisters are thrown around roughly in welding shops for years on end, to no ill effect, and they contain flammable gasses.

I think you are just fine!

I personally would not consider these as damaged, in any meaningful way. A couple of tiny chips to the paint only.

As Dave said above, pressurised canisters are thrown around roughly in welding shops for years on end, to no ill effect, and they contain flammable gasses.

I think you are just fine!
Great, thank you amazing help =)

Back