• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Dosing after adding solenoid?

bugs

I've switched to a regulator with a solenoid; switching on a couple of hours before lights on. I set the bubble rate to the same as when I had CO2 running for 24hrs (102 BPM) and achieving a good colour in the CO2 drop checker. However, at lights on today (first since adding the solenoid) the colour was too far toward the green/blue end of the range. I upped the bubble rate to (184 BPM) a few hours ago but the colour has still not altered a great deal... I suspect it may be a good idea to replace the fluid in the drop checker but also wondering the extent to which I should expect to up the dose to achieve adequate CO2 saturation? Thanks!

Might just need to turn it on earlier. Mine comes on an 2 and a half hours before lights on. As for an number, there really are too many variables. Also drop checkers have a 2-3 hour lag, I’d document what you see before the Bpm change then the next day compare colours at different times of the day. Say 1st hour in photo period and second and so on. If you can remember the colours that is good, but I always find my self taking picture just to make sure. Cheers,

What size tank is it? bigger tanks do take longer. It is not uncommon for lager tanks to have pre CO2 on time of 3hrs plus.
I would express caution in increasing the BPS if the tank was stable on previous BPS even if it was on 24/7.
Doing a pH profile would be my advice

The dude above said it all.
Jokes aside, yeah don't go cranking up the CO2 before you know what the deal is! Have you changed the drop checker from position? How are you injecting CO2? Can you visually see CO2 in the tank if you are using a diffuser? etc etc. All those questions need to be answered before pumping anymore CO2.
Drop checkers are notoriously unreliable in my experience. Move it 5 cm above or below, to the right or to the left and the reading could be night and day.

Back