• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 Disaster

Marc1t

Hi all,
I have a cube planted aquarium 2 foot square 4 t5 tubes for lighting.
I previosly injected Co2 from a fe & regulator & difuser from Co2 Art.& added salts for ferts.
Unfortunately & im still really not sure what went wrong i had a disaster & gassed my fish most of them died but some did survive.
I have decided to stop using this method & for the last couple of months i have not added anything other than doing regular water changes. Unsurprisingly my plants are dying back slowly.
I would still like to continue with a planted tank but im unsure what is the best way forward.
Possibly liquid carbon? Should i continue adding the ferts? I think i should be reducing the lighting which i have done.
Any advice would be great
Cheers.

Marc you probably already have but if not I would go low tech as explained in tutorial The Soil Substrate andDirted in tutorials which explains with or without CO2

Hiya Marc, you need to figure out what went wrong and learn from it. CO2 toxicity is a common issue. The best method to guard against it to use a reactor. The reactor will hit a ceiling level of co2 dissolution regardless of how co2 gas is injected.

Hiya Marc, you need to figure out what went wrong and learn from it. CO2 toxicity is a common issue. The best method to guard against it to use a reactor. The reactor will hit a ceiling level of co2 dissolution regardless of how co2 gas is injected.

Thanks, i apreciate your comment & i understand what your saying, but for now iv lost a bit on f confidence in it so i would like to revert to low tech just for now maybe ill go back to Co2 at a later date. Cheers

Thanks, i apreciate your comment & i understand what your saying, but for now iv lost a bit on f confidence in it so i would like to revert to low tech just for now maybe ill go back to Co2 at a later date. Cheers
That makes sense.

Marc sorry to hear your Pain.

I would be keen to know what went wrong, was it an end of CO2 tank dump- do you have a single or double regulator value?
Was the drop checker showing critical levels of CO2 ?
Was the remaining fish glupping air at surface ?
Any decrease in tank turnover flow rate ?
Was it the CO2 ?

Sorry to hear your pain, what I'd maybe recommend is without thinking of co2, make a list of the plants you'd love to keep; then check and see if it's possible to do them low tech. You may be surprised at the results :)

This is why I use a fine tune between the aquarium and regulator. Once that's set right, whatever happens at the regulator (bar a catastrophic high to low pressure discharge) doesn't affect the tank.

Back