• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Disaster HELP!

jamie_99

Hi all

Im setting up my new tank, will be my first proper planted tank. Plants arrived today, got them all in ok, no major problems there. Filters, powerheads, lights, heaters all running smoothly. Next comes the CO2, this is where it all went wrong....

Connected up the reg, made sure all the fittings were leak free, plugged in the solenoid, nothing. Turned the plug on and off a few times, POW! Sparks came flying out and the wires had melted! Lukily i was fine, just abit shocked :?

Decided to have the CO2 on constiently as theres no livestock in the tank yet, so took of the solenoid and put it all back together again. Noticed a small hiss from the reg, so put it under water to check for leaks, water is getting into the dials, is this normal? Unscrewed the dials and put back on with a little PTFE tape, not sure whether this has worked, water still getting into dials.

This is the reg and solenoid i have http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Dual...3?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item563d267fb5

Will certainly be ditching the solenoid now, dont think its safe to use again and i'd have to reattach wires, recipe for disaster! Also thinking about ditching the reg, but cant find any in the uk to fit a FE, so may stick with it.

To top it off my drop checker doesnt come with the correct liquid, the instructions are in chinese and dont make any sense! All i can make out is add tank water, which is against what everyone advises, so i'll leave that for now.

So should i have the CO2 running now, even if i dont know how much im putting in or will the plants be ok for a few days without it? Mostly crypts (parva, lucens, nevelli) and E. tennulus.

Been looking online for solenoids, no cheap japanese/chinese things this time! What solenoids do people recommend? Or if anyone is selling one, please let me know.

Thanks

I'd send it back and ask for a refund! Good news is that your choice of plants should be ok without gas! You can get FE compatible regs in the UK, but you do pay more than from Asia. People on here use a variety of regs so i'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.
Hope this helps!
Matt

I use dupla regs, expensive but good, but look for jbl ones, they are also very good. From eBay the German ones are acceptable and easy to sort out if something goes wrong.

It all depends on your pocket. :)

Do not use these inferior made in china. Invest in somethign better just for sake of safety. There are good solenoids on ebay from germany for around 20 and british made regulators for 30 if you go DIY.

Hi guys,

Afraid cant get a refund, only came with a months warranty, its been sat here for a few months, plus had a few issues with delivery from Hong Kong, rather not go throught that again. Hopefully the plants will be ok without co2 for a little while, have seen this reg solenoid from TGM http://www.thegreenmachineonline.co...-accessories/m-ventil-standard-solenoid-valve Anyone now if this is good? Should be for that kind of money, more than i payed for the reg + solenoid and postage from Honk Kong!!

Thanks for the advice thusfar.

Hi
This is a problem I highlighted in one of my posts previously.
I definitely do not advocate a solenoid being attached to a Co2 Regulator valve as a all in one unit...... re poster Jamie99s. concerns.
As far is I'm concerned a separate solenoid/not attached to the regulator is far better in many aspects.
hoggie

Back