• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 diffusers and infusion

Hi,
Does anyone who's using CO2 use the intake of their canister filter to circulate the CO2 mist?

I'm struggling to find a way of getting the CO2 bubbles to reach all the areas of my aquarium without any dead spots, I have a full length spray bar that's in two sections,one section sprays down to where the diffuser is and the other section points slightly down from the surface to distribute the bubbles around the tank,it does work but it leaves a small area with very little flow.
I don't want an in-line diffuser because I don't want to cut the pipe so would having the diffuser right near the intake pipe work or would it cause any problems?
Hopefully someone has some experience of diffusing CO2 this way and can give me some advice.

Quite a few people do as you say and have the mist from their diffuser under the inlet. In most cases it's fine, sometimes it will cause the filter to become noisy.

I use one of THESE in most of my tanks, I just place it directly above the diffuser, it chops it up even more and then sprays it throughout the tank.

Thanks Nick, I did think on those lines but I'm put off a bit by extra equipment in the tank although I suppose good plant cover could hide it to a certain extent,worth looking at though,thanks.

Thanks Nick, I did think on those lines but I'm put off a bit by extra equipment in the tank although I suppose good plant cover could hide it to a certain extent,worth looking at though,thanks.

Yeah, I was the same, but I like lots of flow in my tanks so I generally have to live with extra pumps etc.

I would try the diffuser under your filter inlet first, it may well work fine for you.

so would having the diffuser right near the intake pipe work or would it cause any problems?
Yes for some this is a good way of doing it. Depending on your filter and more importantly how much gas is being put through said filter you might end up with some of the co2 building up and then it "burps" it out, which isn't overly annoying imo.

I'd give it a try Richard, just be sure to monitor the results because it could be more effective at dropping the ph/ increasing co2 levels.

Hello Richard, you can also try out putting your diffuser opposite to where your filter outlet is so the flow of the bubbles being released out of the diffuser will be circulated in your water column. Try to check it out and see how you like the results. :)

Hi,thanks for your suggestion,I'm using a spray bar on the outlet side so the circulation is spread out across the length of the tank, I have one section of spray bar pointing towards the diffuser, it does circulate the co2 bubbles to a certain extent but I'm going to alter it so as the diffuser is under the intake pipe , just waiting on some new co2 tubing then I'll try that.

Back