• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Canister Question.

Dougie

Hi,

I currently run my co2 using a SodaStream bottle, this is 60l, comes out at around .89kg on my regulator. I have been looking into more long term option such as fire extinguishers but have no idea where abouts in my area have re-filling stations or if it'd be cheaper to just buy new all the time.

My 60l SodaStream bottle lasts around 1-2 months at £9 an exchange at Asda.

The 2kg FE is around £20ish delivered.

If i can't find a refilling station, do you agree that i'd just be aswell sticking with sodastream?

Is there anything bigger i can get that'll last even longer?

Thanks in advance

From looking around on the net for this very same question I found that some home brewers who go large end up on the MilkRound, I haven't tried so I don't know if planted tanks would qualify on their own but at the end of the day it's a specific need for a certain gas and its a legitimate way to get co2 without having to go to the lengths of repurposing a Fire Extinguisher which I'm reluctant to do for safety reasons. I can get JBL gas cylinders locally but at prices that would feel like setting fire to my wallet every time I needed to get more gas, Sodastream refill every 6 weeks or so at £9 not so much. I concluded that the MilkRound was the cheapest and Sodastream was the easiest. So, I'm still on Sodastream and probably will be for a long while.

C46938BF-4E88-43B8-A4E0-FD3F650B61A6_zpstmcdfqbx.jpg

6kg
Got at local hydroponics shop cost £40 and £16 to refill
Try searching airproducts and energas in your area

I'm on SodaStream as well and am in exactly the same position. My canisters last me about a month. The problem I find is that they often leak when I'm putting a new canister in, despite changing the o-ring every single time for diligence. This makes me a bag of nerves each time I change them, not to mention annoyed at watching 8 quid hiss out on the living room floor!

Anyone else have that issue at all? or am I doing something wrong? I use two adjustable spanners to do it, but have only about an 80% success rate I'd say.

I'm currently looking into alternatives too, but fire extinguishers scare the hell out of me. There's enough pressure in a SodaStream canister in my mind. Would love to know what alternatives you come up with or if you find a refill place that will fit the reg each time as well... do they exist?!

Thanks all

Yes fe and sodastream are liquid co2 at 55bar (800psi). Fe has 2jg contents and sodastream 0.42kg, i think.

Try phoning number on fe's at work, library etc. Did this and found a supplier that delivers to my work for £10.

About 650-700psi bottle pressure when full according to my gauge.

Anyone else have that issue at all? or am I doing something wrong? I use two adjustable spanners to do it, but have only about an 80% success rate I'd say

I carefully hand tighten up till the point I feel a little resistance, reposition my hand and quickly give a firm twist to engage the pressure seal on the bottle and get gas tight in one flick of the wrist, then I get the spanners out and tighten just a little more. I'm getting more practiced at it, but now co2art have a new soda stream adapter that has a valve on top so the whole gas loss issue on a bottle change is now moot.

Thanks all. Those new CO2 Art adapters look much better. Will check compatibility with my reg in the morning and might buy one tomorrow. Will post a review when I do. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from the comfort of my Samsung S III Mini. Wish it was an iPhone...

About 650-700psi bottle pressure when full according to my gauge.

I carefully hand tighten up till the point I feel a little resistance, reposition my hand and quickly give a firm twist to engage the pressure seal on the bottle and get gas tight in one flick of the wrist, then I get the spanners out and tighten just a little more. I'm getting more practiced at it, but now co2art have a new soda stream adapter that has a valve on top so the whole gas loss issue on a bottle change is now moot.

Yeah this is exactly what I do too. Pair of vice grips, bottle turned by hand, when i feel resistance, hand repositioned and swift quick turn, only ever get a slight hiss.
And I get just under 900psi with mineo_O using co2art dual gauge reg.

That sounds like a plan phoning the number on FE at work, I'll have a look when nobody is looking so i don't look like an idiot.

I have stayed with Soda stream for many reasons. There should not be any issue with losing gas on installation if done correctly. As has been said, the best way is to tighten up by hand until you feel the resistance of the 'O' ring then just nip up the final turn with the spanner.
Using Soda stream is never going to be as economical as a larger cylinder but it's not too expensive on tanks up to around 80ltrs.
You don't have a large gas cylinder in your front room, you can easily have a spare always full and you don't need to worry about refills as Argos and Asda etc keep the exchange bottles in all the time. Argos frequently have sales and sell the exchanges for £7.99 at that time.
For me it is the easy way to use CO2 as I don't have anyone nearby who can refill a FE. The LFS can fill larger canisters but need a week to get them done.

All that said I would always go for the larger canister if refills were easier, if only to have the convenience of connect up and forget for a few months.

Soda stream are great though.

Back