• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 bottles

Tom72

Hi, I am thinking of getting a dual CO2 regulator, I already have a small 40ltr tank running a single stage from a soda stream bottle. This will be for my 200ltr tank and I prefer to get a large exchangeable gas cylinder, so I have 2 questions really;
Do I need any specific type of CO2 cylinder, as I have seen kitchen grade and others so which should I go for?
I am in Leeds West Yorkshire, does any body know of a good supplier of CO2?
Thanks
Tom

I have found that adding a secondary flow restrictor between the regulator and the needle valve can make life a lot easier for the needle valve. I picked up one of these for cheap (£5) and was pretty happy with the difference it made: Controlling aquarium CO2 | Fireplace aquarium
Recently I managed to pick up a high-tech porous metal flow restrictor from Mott and am REALLY happy with it. I almost don't even need the needle valve anymore:
These are also not cheap but if you need really precise control over low flow CO2 these are amazing (I also have a HOKE MicroMite needle valve, but if I'm honest that has been disappointing - the cheapo needle-valve with bubble chamber combo does a better job than the HOKE).

It seems I can’t find anything on fleabay and only options are by ordering from manufacturers directly from US.. my feeling is that the shipping cost will be equal to the price of the valve..

Will be more than cost of valve if buying single unit :eek:

I have been doing some reading and do believe @Hanuman is on to something with the low spec needle valves most of us are using. Just a case of find a needle valve which is more suited to low volumes which sells in the UK. Yet to find anything which has a decent spec and PDF to confirm.

It seems I can’t find anything on fleabay and only options are by ordering from manufacturers directly from US.. my feeling is that the shipping cost will be equal to the price of the valve..
Yes they are rare.
Will be more than cost of valve if buying single unit :eek:

I have been doing some reading and do believe @Hanuman is on to something with the low spec needle valves most of us are using. Just a case of find a needle valve which is more suited to low volumes which sells in the UK. Yet to find anything which has a decent spec and PDF to confirm.
This is well known among plant farmers or those who actually make their business to grow plants. Having proper constant and reliable CO2 flow is important and no low end CO2 nail valve can provide that.

If you guys need a contact of the person who sells custom made second regs/needle valves I can provide. PM.

We can get them in the UK Swagelock

1617723702412.png

Plus vat and delivery
Angle version POA
1617724320935.png

Female version
1617724289570.png

Brass a bit cheaper
1617724535529.png

Going stainless steel is purely a luxury if you have lots of cash to throw out of the windows then why not, but the chrome plated brass will do the exact same job. No differences there for our purposes. Looking at it more carefully mine is actually brass, not stainless steel so the model number is as the picture just above: B-2MA4.

Going stainless steel is purely a luxury if you have lots of cash to throw out of the windows then why not, but the chrome plated brass will do the exact same job. No differences there for our purposes. Looking at it more carefully mine is actually brass, not stainless steel so the model number is as the picture just above: B-2MA4.
Thanks, you just have answered my next question 😃 I think brass is more fragile material and it’s easier to screw up the thread. But being careful it should be no difference between two models.

I don’t know how you handle stuff but I don’t even see how you would manage to damage the brass one unless hamering the valve or being a brute when screwing the valve. Brass is hard enough and most regulators are made out of brass as well. Remember these needle valves are lab or industrial grade valve. Beyond hardness the use of SS is also because in some instances these valves are used with high purity gases, or they are used in high pressure setups etc etc. Brass is prefectly fine for our use. SS is totally overkill IMO but if that makes people happy why not.

Last edited:

Brass vs Stainless Steel

Composition and Properties
The best way to differentiate between brass and stainless steel is to know their composition. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, while steel is an alloy of iron, carbon, and chromium. Just by their base metal, you can easily tell which has suitable properties for particular applications. For instance, in terms of corrosion resistance, iron pales in comparison to copper. In fact, iron is the metal that makes ferrous metals rust fast.

Simply put, brass is generally more corrosion-resistant than stainless steel. While the addition of chromium to steel makes a whole lot of difference to its ability to resist rust, it is still susceptible to corrosion at some degree.

When it comes to electrical and thermal conductivity, brass outmatches stainless steel by fifteen times. It also has a higher thermal expansion coefficient, which makes it perfect for applications that involve extremely high temperatures, including furnaces and engines.

In terms of manufacturing cost, there’s no significant difference between brass and steel, although steel is much more difficult to machine than brass. Brass, after all, is well-known for its machinability, which is why it is the metal of choice for applications that require small, precise metal pieces, so steel doesn’t stand a chance.

Stainless steel, on the contrary, has a higher resistance to petroleum products and many acids than brass, and it can be passivated in either citric or nitric acid solutions. Some grades of stainless steel are also superior to brass in more-aggressive marine environments such as fast-moving currents.
Unquote

Brass may be a better choice for our needs esp if its also cheaper

I would check out Camozzi RFO/RFU needle valves, I have retro fitted these to a CO2 Art regulator and they perform flawlessly.

I would check out Camozzi RFO/RFU needle valves, I have retro fitted these to a CO2 Art regulator and they perform flawlessly.
Very affordable price and all available on fleabay 👍 Do you remember exact model you have? I’m not very good on datasheets..

RS components for one do stock quite a few different brands of needle valves of very similar valves at competitive prices as these. However as @Hanuman points out they haven't been designed for the low flow rates we use, so although they may work they don't give the same level of control for the low flow rates as the quality needle value designed for low flow rates.

RS components for one do stock quite a few different brands of needle valves of very similar valves at competitive prices as these. However as @Hanuman points out they haven't been designed for the low flow rates we use, so although they may work they don't give the same level of control for the low flow rates as the quality needle value designed for low flow rates.
Ah OK I can see now the difference and this explains the price too

Hey @REDSTEVEO

Here's a couple of pictures of what I did, simply unscrewed the existing fittings from the solenoid and screwed in the replacement fittings using gas ptfe tape to seal then tested for leaks. Bought the fittings from ebay here is a link as an example

Straight Bsp Male to Male Nipples, Equal Male Full Range Bsp Nickel Plated Brass | eBay

This is running into two diy reactors 2 into an EA 900. Also have exactly the same set up running into 2 30cm cubes and aquario diffusers.

20210502_202206.jpg
20210502_202212.jpg

Hey @REDSTEVEO

Here's a couple of pictures of what I did, simply unscrewed the existing fittings from the solenoid and screwed in the replacement fittings using gas ptfe tape to seal then tested for leaks. Bought the fittings from ebay here is a link as an example

Straight Bsp Male to Male Nipples, Equal Male Full Range Bsp Nickel Plated Brass | eBay

This is running into two diy reactors 2 into an EA 900. Also have exactly the same set up running into 2 30cm cubes and aquario diffusers.

View attachment 167968View attachment 167970
I have emailed CO2 Supermarket with my question. I have a feeling there has to be a much simpler solution to that. Fiddling about with the primary needle valve on the solenoid possibly, reducing the pressure on the Splitter needle valves.

Not sure my DIY skills are up to the same as yours. But I might have to up my game if they don't provide a solution.

Thanks for the tip though. I'll post an update on what happens.

Last edited:
It is ok until you actually spend time looking at it and realize that the flow of CO2 is not constant throughout the day.
I thought it was just me! I've noticed this on my large tank, I thought I was going crazy. I even filmed 2 videos as a comparison. Without touching the needle valve at one point in the day the bubble rate was countable and then later on the day it was uncountable. I'm glad I'm not going crazy lol.

Back