• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 bottles

Tom72

Hi, I am thinking of getting a dual CO2 regulator, I already have a small 40ltr tank running a single stage from a soda stream bottle. This will be for my 200ltr tank and I prefer to get a large exchangeable gas cylinder, so I have 2 questions really;
Do I need any specific type of CO2 cylinder, as I have seen kitchen grade and others so which should I go for?
I am in Leeds West Yorkshire, does any body know of a good supplier of CO2?
Thanks
Tom

Do I need any specific type of CO2 cylinder

Many folk use dated Fire Extinguisher (FE) 2Kg bottles, which can be picked up quite cheap once you find the right contact locally. I use Old FE bottles and I have 6.5Kg refillable ones

I am in Leeds West Yorkshire, does any body know of a good supplier of CO2?

Just need to find a local supplier of CO2, CO2 is used for MIG welding and many Pubs, so one should be hard to find and many supply the hobby, I have a contract hire bottle which a paid for and just pop in and exchange it for a filled one when needed and pay for the CO2.

Thanks Zeus, I think I have found a place Co2 Bottle - Hydrostore I’m not sure what 6kg of gas looks like but I imagine it’s quite a lot. I’m weighing up buying a co2art off eBay at the moment 2nd hand which comes with a fire extinguisher, or if I should buy new.

Thanks Zeus, I think I have found a place Co2 Bottle - Hydrostore I’m not sure what 6kg of gas looks like but I imagine it’s quite a lot. I’m weighing up buying a co2art off eBay at the moment 2nd hand which comes with a fire extinguisher, or if I should buy new.
I would be wary about buying a second hand Co2Art regulator from an unknown person. To start with the needle valve is really poor, then comes the solenoid which has probably some use on it. If you go ahead I recommend you buy a better needle valve to replace the original one and also thoroughly check the solenoid rod to make sure it is in good working order. I just hope for you the set is well priced though.

I do have myself a Co2Art as well which I bought new. From the beginning I could tell that needle valve was crappy. Didn't bother changing it but I should have from day one, which I finally did a couple of weeks ago for something you can actually call a "needle valve".

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I’m just watching it at the moment, I do have my reservations but picking up a regulator cheap is tempting. I am erring towards a brand new one.

I do have myself a Co2Art as well which I bought new. From the beginning I could tell that needle valve was crappy. Didn't bother changing it but I should have from day one, which I finally did a couple of weeks ago for something you can actually call a "needle valve".
@Hanuman Which needle valve did you finally wind up going with?

Last edited:
I would be wary about buying a second hand Co2Art regulator from an unknown person.

I very valid point, I got mine as a great deal with a complete 50 tank setup scaped, lights with CO2 reg for £50, so couldn't really go wrong. Buying new you do have the backup of the after care. The needle valves on mine seem OK never had an issue, however controlling the BPS just needs the slightest touch. So getting a better needle valve is always going to make life easier.

Have bought my New CO2 art kit and 3.4kg gas, so can’t wait for delivery. Typically discovered on my smaller tank the bazuka atomiser has developed a fault, and can’t add a replacement to my order. Thanks for the advice. Any Tips on fixing a leaking bazuka?

The needle valves on mine seem OK never had an issue, however controlling the BPS just needs the slightest touch. So getting a better needle valve is always going to make life easier.
It is ok until you actually spend time looking at it and realize that the flow of CO2 is not constant throughout the day. Before I changed mine I spend close to a month monitoring the flow morning and evening. I could see definitely flow variations on a daily basis. New or not this will happen with low grade needle valves such as those on Co2Art regulator or any low end Chinese regulator. I have 3 different regs from 3 different brands and all do that. I think this is due to pressure and temperature which moves ever so slightly the needle valve and also contracts/expands Orings thus generating flow fluctuations. There is a reason why you have highly specialized Orings and very tight tolerances in high end needle valves.

I think many people don't realize this but I think many of their problems starts with this CO2 fluctuations.

It is ok until you actually spend time looking at it and realize that the flow of CO2 is not constant throughout the day. Before I changed mine I spend close to a month monitoring the flow morning and evening. I could see definitely flow variations on a daily basis. New or not this will happen with low grade needle valves such as those on Co2Art regulator or any low end Chinese regulator. I have 3 different regs from 3 different brands and all do that. I think this is due to pressure and temperature which moves ever so slightly the needle valve and also contracts/expands Orings thus generating flow fluctuations. There is a reason why you have highly specialized Orings and very tight tolerances in high end needle valves.

I think many people don't realize this but I think many of their problems starts with this CO2 fluctuations.
Never spent any time checking the flow rates:oops:, If it was anyone else posting this I would perhaps be a little blasé about this. But knowing @Hanuman does his 'homework' well, this is one area I will be looking into a little more :thumbup:

I got myself a Swagelok needle valve, M Serie. New, those can be quite expensive but I got it 2nd hand from a guy that builds custom regulators and that is respected in the hobby.
I found that CO2 Art needle valve is very unreliable and there is no way to set constant flow..
I so hope you could point exact model which would fit CO2 Art Pro series regulator e.g. Swagelok SS-4MG ?

I found that CO2 Art needle valve is very unreliable and there is no way to set constant flow..
I so hope you could point exact model which would fit CO2 Art Pro series regulator e.g. Swagelok SS-4MG ?
The one I have I think is an SS-2MG4. You can even go for an S series which is even more precise.

The one I have I think is an SS-2MG4

I did a search and they are not cheap, but like most thinks in life you pay for quality, but you have to know when the quality is needed and not some BS the sales person is on about.

I did a search and they are not cheap, but like most thinks in life you pay for quality, but you have to know when the quality is needed and not some BS the sales person is on about.
They are not cheap no, but you can call that an actual needle valve. What you see on Co2Art regs those are not "needle valves". I call them nails.
There are other options other than Swagelok which also work very well. Here are threads on TPT that everyone should read on the subject:

I don't recommend going out an buying new needle valves. They are way too expensive. A new high precison one can cost you easily >300 USD. Yes you read that right. I know a few guys that sell second hand ones. Their reputation precedes them so I am not worried about what comes from them.

Another great option is this needle valve for the Co2Art reg:
To that you need to add 2 nipples as an adaptors. One for the bubble counter if you use one and one for connecting the valve to the solenoid manifold.

All new will cost around ~100USD.

Last edited:
Some pics of the Dakota needle valve. I have been authorised to use the pictures by a fellow hobbyist.
126292440_10217513548221726_5734358779181826961_n.jpg
127037410_10217513548981745_902346058396276716_n-3.jpg

126518485_10217513549541759_2969000289517866182_n.jpg
126527651_10217513549221751_2270212697725142396_n.jpg

Back