• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 and tanks with sumps

thanks. I will try increasing the bubble rate and take more accurate readings on pH. The probe is actually inside the sump, usually I see it around 7.2 in the morning, during the day its 6.9, so not quite 0.4 drop.

The distribution problem did come into thought but I honestly don't know how to deal with that, especially in a Red Sea tank where the Overflow box is in the middle. When it was a reef tank, I had 1 powerhead and a wavemaker Gyre on each side, return pump cranked up to 60%...........now its just the Return pump at the lowest setting. I'm a bit worried about 'stagnant' areas

I'll take a look at the 10 or 20" DIY reactors, maybe I can source some materials here and make one.
Dont you use the split nozzle? That should help a lot already, aimed at the corners of the tank with enough power should get a lot of flow already as it bounces against the front, then goes down into both corners and to the back of the tank from there. At least thats how I picture it :) In my current small tank I can visually check this using my twinstar, I will do the same once I set up the larger tank which I will 'arm' with 2 twinstars, one on each side ;). You could add powerheads against the middle part with the overflow, hidden behind plants aimed at the side if you are very worried about it. I found this a while back to ease my worries about the dead spots, unless you have hardscape obstructions I dont think it has to be an issue, even without powerheads.

reefer with sump and lush plants

Last edited:
Dont you use the split nozzle? That should help a lot already, aimed at the corners of the tank with enough power should get a lot of flow already as it bounces against the front, then goes down into both corners and to the back of the tank from there. At least thats how I picture it :) In my current small tank I can visually check this using my twinstar, I will do the same once I set up the larger tank which I will 'arm' with 2 twinstars, one on each side ;). You could add powerheads against the middle part with the overflow, hidden behind plants aimed at the side if you are very worried about it. I found this a while back to ease my worries about the dead spots, unless you have hardscape obstructions I dont think it has to be an issue, even without powerheads.

reefer with sump and lush plants
Yes I do use a DIY Y-split nozzle, pointing left and right downwards. Got it working I think, slight movement in leaves on bottom.

Yes I do use a DIY Y-split nozzle, pointing left and right downwards. Got it working I think, slight movement in leaves on bottom.
Let us know how it goes! I'm especially interested as I'll be setting it up in the coming months myself. Right now its sitting empty in the living room :)

Let us know how it goes! I'm especially interested as I'll be setting it up in the coming months myself. Right now its sitting empty in the living room :)
Quick update about the sump but I think you know about this anyway:

-Y nozzle helps a lot
-Return pump doesn't need to be at the 'reef tank' power setting
-No addition wavemaker/powerheads needed
-Evaporation is same as for reef setup
-Reading forums on UV Steriliser and Carbon reactor.......majority say its not required. I got rid of my Carbon reactor and about to remove my UV.
-Media used: 2L Eheim Substrat Pro, Marinepure Block, 2L siporax and some coarse foam pads. I use floss on top of cups/socks and bin every few days

Back