• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2, ADA Amazonia, pH and bacteria

herezor

Hi all

Well, I have a doubt. After reading many forum pages, I have some concerns.

I had a DSM tank running for 8 weeks with Eleocharis sp mini. I just flooded it last monday (November 2nd 2015). The substrate is ADA Amazonia. My tap water pH is 7.65 (data from water company report and confirmed by myself with a pHmeter). When added to the tank the pH goes down to 6.1-6.2 (normal according to amazonia properties).
I have read everywhere that right after flooding, CO2 must be set to the maximum possible. I set mine using the pH meter (not controller, just manually adjusting the CO2 needle valve until reaching a certain value) to 4.9-5.00 complying with the 1-1.2 pH unit drop suggestion to achieve around 30 ppm CO2. I must also say that I use and inline atomizer and I do not count bps (no need with the pHmeter). Aeration at night makes pH go back to 6.0-6.1. So far everything looks OK appart from some eleocharis blades floating here and there in the morning (that I carefully remove). I did a WC yesterday (80% approx) and plan to do again every 2-3 days. By the way I am also dosing full EI (yesterday macros and Equilibrium and today micros). I have three LED downlight bulbs that I was using during DSM, but I just covered one of them to decrease light at the beggining of submersed state to maximize the effect CO2 injection. Flow is also good as super-tiny bubbles (almost like mist) of CO2 move all around the tank and I cannot see any dead spots without CO2 bubbles. Plant mass is not very high at the moment (see pic of the DSM tank here)

So my question is: everything seems fine for the plants, but what about nitrifiying bacteria?. The NH4 >> NO2 >> NO3 process must be inhibited at such low pH. What should I rank first?: CO2 high but bacteria struggling or the opposite... I guess most of the work bacteria do is done by plants now... but what about the organic waste compounds?. I am concerned about those as they normally trigger algae...Are they also processed by plants or water change "is my friend" :lol::lol::lol::lol:. When Amazonia stops decreasing the pH, bacteria will struggle during the day but will be fine at nigh (with pH going up to around 7-7.5), but my concern is what about right now?

Cheers and sorry for the long post.

Pedro

Last edited:
Just keep on top of the water changes and you won't have to worry organic waste compounds.

Be sure to siphon around the plants and substrate, do not simply drain water from the surface.

Also as you have no fish, no need to heat the water at water changes, just put hose pipe straight in, remembering to add sufficient dechlorinator for your whole tank volume.

Back