• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cloverleaf cl1 upgrade

Frenchi

Hi ppl
Just wondering what filter types you guys are using on your ponds, I got this cloverleaf 2 year ago as it was a bargain, some people don't rate them but doing what I've done now it's the best and most simple filter I have ever had.
Pot 1 brushes pot 2 jap mat pot 3 small amount of jap mat and k2 mixed pit 4 alpha grog and sponges. Air line into pot 2 and 3. The pond is 2500 litres the filter is taking 3500 litres per hour.
I'm keeping 6 koi in there my biggest being 12" long,
How many koi would you guys keep in a pond of this size with the filtration ?
udanube2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice pond.

as Koi can grow over a meter it's advisable to have some form of space. the norm is around 1 cm per 10 liters of pond. so in your case around 250 cm fish maximum.

hope this helps

M.

That's the cheapest way but also the most boring way as there are so many lovely Koi available.

or consider sooner or later a bigger pond ( that's my problem always, start small end too big )

That's the cheapest way but also the most boring way as there are so many lovely Koi available.

or consider sooner or later a bigger pond ( that's my problem always, start small end too big )
Lucky my garden isn't big enough to go bigger :) or the jcb would be in :)

What are the dimensions of the pond?
What make / model of pump is feeding the filter?

Honestly?
I would give the big koi away, your pond is on the small side. Koi need to swim, your pond depth is fine, so is the length its just too narrow for a big fish.
Also you have not mentioned a bottom drain, a must with multiple koi.
Koi are nice, but they need a big pool with lots of filtration and a lot of looking after.

No sump as such but my pump is in a pit dug out, it does well at handling solids, all the crap always ends up in there due to the slope towards it working in conjunction with the flow. The brushes need cleaning regular along with the mesh I have separating the pods so as for it being clean it is spot on. A sump drain is defiantly not needed for koi that is just a myth we must not be fooled into expensive gear putting off people who would like to keep koi. I have kept them for many years on just a pressure filter in a small pond. I do agree with the size issue but I'm confident that the amount I have in there at the moment are just fine until the smaller ones start to grow bigger, I will then pass them on to someone with a bigger pond :)

Thanks

Mick

Back