• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

cloudy water

JohnC

On a mountain in the Highlands of Scotland
Hi,

Just seeking a little confirmation on this one. I'm getting cloudy water on my corner tank, a new one for me.

Am i correct in saying this is due to too low filtration? I added an external reactor with "floss" media in it which is reducing my filter output quite a bit. I compensated with an extra pump so the plants and algae are fine and under control.

I've got bio balls on order with AE to replace the reactor floss with.

Best Regards,
John

p.s its just cloudy, not green water.

Could just be bacterial bloom with new bacteria colonising the floss?
Is the cloudiness White or green? If green algal bloom
If White bacterial bloom
Matt

Hi

When you refer to cloudy water - are they particals within the water coloumn, my initials thoughts are that your fish may be distrubing the substrate, the particals then float upwards and are pushed around the tank in the water flow and when looking at the tank is looks cloudy.

Regards
Paul

it's a bacterial bloom probably caused by the floss in the reactor since it started when i installed that. it also reduced flow to my filter ALOT. i've switched it out to bioballs now and the filter flow is alot better but i still have the cloudy water. I'm going to try a water change daily for a week to see how that goes.

Back