• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cliff & Plateau

Well, let´s hope you will love this hobby as much as shop :D:thumbup:

60F is always a good choice, can't wait to see your hardscape!

Well, I always admired tanks and was reading into reefs over the course of the least 5 years. At one point I was ready to start but my business partner talked me out of it because he used to have one in his office and that things went down under quickly one day. Somebody threw something in the tank which turned the water parameters up side down, and all fish died. I think he said people must have thrown pennies in the tank.

That being said, my business partner has no hand for things like that. And I was stupid enough to let him talk me out of it.

Life is short, and I'm not going to waste more time not doing all those things I always wanted to do. Having tanks long-term is going to stay with me from now on, and I have to catch up for all those years. :)

Hi, great journal. Looking forward to seeing this rank take shape. I'm also new to the hobby. Currently setting up a 140×60×50cm iwagumi tank with 80kg of seiryu stone. Building a new house which will hopefully be ready in nov/Dec so I'm just getting everything in order and be ready to go then.
When do you hope to be up and running. This is my mock tank scape.
Going to have a natural gravel beach on the LH side and then two or three plants, sp.mini, mc and a tall val at the back behind both sets of rocks.
0914362f8f3e423a8653835d2abdcba2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi, great journal. Looking forward to seeing this rank take shape. I'm also new to the hobby. Currently setting up a 140×60×50cm iwagumi tank with 80kg of seiryu stone. Building a new house which will hopefully be ready in nov/Dec so I'm just getting everything in order and be ready to go then.
When do you hope to be up and running. This is my mock tank scape.
Going to have a natural gravel beach on the LH side and then two or three plants, sp.mini, mc and a tall val at the back behind both sets of rocks.
0914362f8f3e423a8653835d2abdcba2.jpg

Welcome to the forum mate!

Looks like your beach goes around the left, large stone. Would love that idea, also like the idea of a flat valley behind the stones. You have much more room for depth.

I'm now at 4 tanks being setup simultaneously. This is the current plan:

1.) Ultum Nature Systems 5N 4.6 Gal tank: scaping next weekend, order plants in 1 week

2.) ADA 60F 8.6 Gal tank: scaping in 2 weeks, order plants in 3 week

3.) Ultum Nature Systems 45U 9.3 Gal tank: scaping in 3 weeks, order plants in 4 week

4.) Ultum Nature Systems 90L 21.4 Gal tank: scaping in 5 weeks, order plants in 6 week

Meanwhile I hooked up power...

DSC00657.jpg

..and started drilling holes for the grommets in the cabinet for the main tank. Making sure not to damage the laminate or hitting on a screw hiding in the wood wasn't that easy. This is a custom made cabinet, I had to use a metal detector to find the screws.

DSC00654.jpg

These grommets consist of 2 parts. The longer half needs to be shortened depending on the panel thickness. The advantage of these is that they cover up both sides, and prevent water from getting into the wood.

They can be ordered here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007CI3XL6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DSC00655.jpg

Next will be 2 grommets for the in- and outlet hoses.

DSC00661.jpg

So you're new to the hobby and you're setting up 4 tanks in the next 6 weeks. Ha ha, great stuff. If keeping the tanks is half as addictive as getting them setup it should be an eventful few months ahead for us!

I've everything pretty much sorted and ready to go in November except for lights. It seems to me to be a minefield. I want led's and this week the daytime cluster control led 120.6 is ahead. Until I read something suspect about them and off ill go again. Also seems that it doesn't matter what money you're willing to spend because it still won't guarantee you success.

So you're new to the hobby and you're setting up 4 tanks in the next 6 weeks. Ha ha, great stuff. If keeping the tanks is half as addictive as getting them setup it should be an eventful few months ahead for us!

I've everything pretty much sorted and ready to go in November except for lights. It seems to me to be a minefield. I want led's and this week the daytime cluster control led 120.6 is ahead. Until I read something suspect about them and off ill go again. Also seems that it doesn't matter what money you're willing to spend because it still won't guarantee you success.

That matches my experiences so far. When I just decided for a solution and ordered parts, new ideas come up and throw me back a week. But I'm getting there, only a few parts are missing and should be here within 10 days or so.

There will be a major second build series on my behalf when the main tank is cycled and running. This entire thing will be automated with an industrial grade Siemens controller. That alone will keep me busy for several month.

All that shopping and building aside, I can't wait to see my shrimp chasing the fish around. j/k lol

Saw this last night...

Well, AquaForest just called and canceled the order on tank No 4 (ADA 60F). Been on the phone now for an hour trying to find the same tank in any store in the country (US that is). One shop has it and they MIGHT be willing to ship it if they can find enough wrapping material. They are supposed to call back in 15 minutes. Fingers crossed, because most shops don't want to ship tanks anymore. UPS and FedEx like to smash things.

Anyway, some other parts for tank No 3 and No 4 arrived:

DSC00662.jpg

That Felxi light looks great on a tank:

DSC00667.jpg

I put the light temporarily on the refugium tank. It will work great for tank No 3 which is 36cm x 20cm x 20cm. For the ADA 60F it will be too short, so I'll have to find another light for it. I think I'll go Kessil this time.

DSC00670.jpg

This LED light can be rotated to the side for easy access:

DSC00671.jpg

I was talked out of a bright beach front for my tank. Seemingly very hard to keep. So I'm going with a more natural coloured gravel.

No money in aquarium lighting for them. The company has headed in the direction of horticulture lighting.

I think all the needed fittings, valves and couplings arrived for the refugium tank and the pH probe T. Still have to order 3 fittings for the main tank. I might start working on the plumbing for the refugium now.

DSC00672.jpg

I'm not much of a dragon stone fan but this scape is intriguing (really liked the stone scape!)
- from the folks at Buce Plant

Wasteland

All those alternative hose adapters finally arrived. The UK seller of the Eheim adapter completely screwed up, those never arrived and I had to open a case with eBay in order to get my money back. But this has also a good side to it, they look better:

DSC00675.jpg

The Ultum Nature Systems 5N 4.6 gal tank arrived yesterday together with more Seiryu stones. The ADA 60F tank still needs to be shipped. The seller is slow. :(

I think I'll start with the Ultum Nature Systems 5N and order plants this week.

DSC00676.jpg

Back