• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning rock

CJM70

I have inherited some Seiryu stone with a tank that I recently purchased. It has blobs of glue on it which I can get off relatively easily but it also has a lot of green staining from algae. Will soaking the rock in bleach solution be the right way to clean it or is there some other way that I should use that is safer? I don’t want to rock to absorb the bleach solution and then leach it back into the aquarium when I use it.

I would be tempted to soak it in water for a couple of days and then use an electric toothbrush to scrub the algae off the stones, I have done this a couple times with good results.

Weak bleach solution is fine. Try to use unscented thin bleach. Own brand supermarket stuff usually suffices. Leave the rock to soak over night. Then rinse thoroughly and soak in freshwater with a conditioner like Seachem Prime to neutralise remaining bleach residue. You will still probably need to scrape the glue residue off though.

I would be tempted to soak it in water for a couple of days and then use an electric toothbrush to scrub the algae off the stones, I have done this a couple times with good results
The price of my toothbrush heads, no chance, lol. But a good idea. If I have a new head int the drawer i will give it a go. Thanks.
Do you have a power washer? That will make them look brand new. You can scrub but it will be much less effort with the power washer.
Sadly no. I guess there’s always the car wash.
Weak bleach solution is fine. Try to use unscented thin bleach. Own brand supermarket stuff usually suffices. Leave the rock to soak over night. Then rinse thoroughly and soak in freshwater with a conditioner like Seachem Prime to neutralise remaining bleach residue. You will still probably need to scrape the glue residue off though.
Thanks Tim, I think this will have to be my main option, but thanks for remindin* me about soaking in a prime solution. I have plenty of prime 👍.

I picked up an electric toothbrush just for tank maintenance use, just a cheap oral b job a pack of 10 replacement heads was about £10 and last for ages, makes cleaning rocks in situ in the tanks much easier.
Now that’s a fine idea. Cheers. I was a bit sheepish about using my main electric toothbrush as it cost an arm and a leg. Actually it’s been a bit of a disappointment, it hasn’t stopped me snapping two crowns of my teeth😂😂🦷🦷🪥🪥

Back