• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning glassware

DEL 707

Just a quick question, my diffuser and a few other pieces of glass equiptment are starting to get completely covered in algea.
What's the best way to clean them? Scrubbing hasn't worked on the diffuser.

Bleach works well, squeeze a little on or soak it in a 50/50 bleach water solution, when its clean, remove. Remember to rinse heavily after, and also i know some people rinse it in dechlorinator after too.

Adam

Del 707

I use Morrison’s own baby sterilizing solution or there is Miltons sterilizing solution for cleaning any glassware.

Regards
Paul.

Errr slight problem now :sick:

I soaked it in a bleach mixture overnight and they came out sparkling clean, only problem is that the diffuser has a load of bleach stuck in the area underneath the plate.
I turned it upside down and hooked up the CO2 to kinda blast it out, which largly worked, but it's left some residue, a kind of white film behind.

At the moment I've left it to soak in a bowl of water.

DEL 707 said:
..I soaked it in a bleach mixture overnight and they came out sparkling clean, only problem is that the diffuser has a load of bleach stuck in the area underneath the plate..
This is a common problem with soaking ceramic discs with bleach. The bleach does tend to leech through the disc, and this can prove problematic if the bleach enters your aquarium after re-starting the CO2...

I syringe it out using a small (2-3cm) length of airline attached between the diffuser and syringe.

Back