• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaner required

DTM61

Hi all,

I'm wanting something to help me to keep algae at bay. So far I have nothing.

The tank is only 35 litres and very soft water with pH <6/6.5. It sounds like otocinclus need to be in a group which my tank is too small for and shrimp / snails will suffer with the ph. That said I have two of ten rcs still alive and they seem to be doing well, they've certainly grown a lot.

I was thinking perhaps one nerite snail may be enough? Maybe try one amano or some crystals / bee shrimp? I really don't want to change the water parameters now, the plants and fish I have seem very happy, but I would like to give something else a home if it would also be happy here.

Thoughts appreciated,
Dan

Hi all,
I was thinking perhaps one nerite snail may be enough?
I think they might struggle in your water. You could try <"Red Ramshorn snails">, they are the snail I have that survives in the softest water, although they never get very big and always have pale shells with shell attrition.

<"Asellus"> would be another option.

cheers Darrel

There should be a shrimp what would do for your water. Crystal reds? But you may have to add supplementsvto the water.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll have a look into red ramshorn snails, Darrell. However I don't think the missus would appreciate Asellus even if they were doing a fantastic job!

It's just a bit of filamentous algae and some bba, nothing too bad but a potential food source for something all the same.

Back