• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Clean-up crew advice for temporary tank

aec34

I’ve got my jerry-rigged biorb set up as a temporary home for my epiphytes before setting up a new tank. There’s a bit of sand in the bottom and some old botanicals and wood from the closed-down tank, and it’s running on my tap water with the occasional liquid feed. I set it up on 2nd Jan, so about 3 weeks ago.

I’m getting a bit of algae on the bigger anubias leaves and am thinking about chucking some shrimp in since I’ve got loads of cherries in my other tank, but I wondered whether a snail or two might be a good option.

I don’t know snails, apart from a bad experience with a pair of nerites. Can anyone recommend easy to keep snails which won’t be too messy, clean up well, and likely won’t breed too prolifically (I know populations vary according to availability of food)?

And when I say temporary tank, they’ll likely be in there for a few months given how long building work will likely take.

Ta!

FD43DF5C-B734-4228-901D-5490BA61FDA7.jpeg

My tank has no fish, Just plants.
My clean up crew consists of:
Bladder snails - Not to bad but you will have trouble stopping them going to the new tank and will end up trying to catch them for months unless like me you like snails.
Ramshorn snails - Same as bladder snails
Crangonyx pseudogracilis - Hard to get hold of from a clean source. They live in ponds throughout the UK, only trouble is correct identification so you don't end up with something bad. advantage to these is when they end up in the new tank your fish will have a field day eating them.
Lumbriculus - good at cleaning the substrate as long as you don't mind worms. again will soon be eaten by fish when new tank is setup.
Cyclops - No idea, but they must eat something and I don't think they do any harm.

No idea if this is at all correct or even helps. But this works for me as I have very little algae and what I have is soon devoured by these little critters.

+1 for the ones above
Combination of them(in sufficient numbers)will go through whatever algae you trow at them.
I had a tank full with all of those and was putting my buces from other tanks to get clean for few days when I needed.
Another good one is Asellus aquaticus but some people find them ugly:)

Last edited:
Back