• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Chris' 200ltr Planted Journal!

lordingsy

Morning all, I have been a serial lurker on this site for a good few months now and not really contributed a lot. That's because I didn't really know a lot!!!

But after months of reading people's journals and looking at all the tank galleries and going thorugh just about every thread ukaps has to offer, I feel its time to start my first proper planted tank.

I've had a Fluval Roma 125 for just over 2 years now. This is a community tank with the usual suspects frequenting the algae ridden plant and glass surfaces.

Then a few months ago, a friend offered me his Roma 200 with external filter, UV steralizer etc etc... For a very good price!!!

So to cut a long story short I now have a Roma 200, sat in the corner of the living waiting for me to plant, fill and stock it.

SDC11171.jpg

This was just after lugging the tank up from the car park round the back, up three flights of stairs and into the livving room.

SDC11172.jpg

And now in its final resting position after having a good clean, back and side painted and substrate added.

The substrate is Columbo Flora-Base and there is about 15ltrs in there at the minute. This substrate was recommended by a very helpful gentleman for this site... Mr. James Maslin. Just want to thank James for all your help so far and being patient with me and answering all my plant newbie questions. Cheers James :thumbup:

I also got some manzanita wood from James and this morning ive been having a little play about:

SDC11178.jpg

SDC11177.jpg

SDC11181.jpg

What do you think? does it look ok?

I've also got some rock to go in:

SDC11182.jpg

Not sure what rock its, but it looks similar to the grey stuff most people on here use. Was cheap as chips too!

Sorry for rambling on and please comment on the wood placement for now.

Thanks for reading

Chris

Just to add that my aim for this tank is a jungle style heavily planted. I will be dosing co2 via a DIY FE setup. I am not 100% sure on ferts yet. I want to use dry ferts for cheapness but im not sure what I need. When i read posts in the section I start to get a bit confused about what I need and how much I need to make.

There are two T8 tubes in the hood which will be getting changed before the plants go in. The filter is a Fluval 305 and that will be accompanied by a power head to aid flow. Think thats it.... for now!

Looking good! I will be following this journal. Any ideas on plants and fish yet?

Thanks Bob, I was kinda thinking the same thing myself. The stones are at the back which is probably where there will be stem plants which will cover them.

Cheers Peter, hope you enjoy the journal as it progresses. As for plants, I dont know yet to be honest lol. I will be transferring all the fish from my 125ltr community tank. I know a good mixture of fish doesnt really go with a planted tank but I cant get rid of any. I have:

1x Bristlenose
1x Scribbler Plec L066
Glowlight danio
Longfin leopard danio
lambchop rasboras
neons
pair of golden rams
and a few ottos

Chris

lordingsy said:
I know a good mixture of fish doesnt really go with a planted tank

True, but I think you can get away with it more in a dense jungle ;) (as opposed to an 'open' iwagumi style layout)

a1Matt said:
lordingsy said:
I know a good mixture of fish doesnt really go with a planted tank

True, but I think you can get away with it more in a dense jungle ;) (as opposed to an 'open' iwagumi style layout)

Yeah i hope so Matt. Should still look with a mixture.

Probably not going to get chance to play with the hardscape until sunday now so will update with pics then.

it looks good chris, when i get a bit of time i will start a thing on my tank and its progress :)

The wood on the gravel and the rocks looks very low/small, once planted after a while they will quickly disappear in the middle of the plants if you not careful, other than that its a good start ;)

looks good, will lookamazing when you get it planted out.
the fry have been eaten, but on most websites about breeding them it says they do loose their first few, because the are inexperienced.

niall

LondonDragon said:
The wood on the gravel and the rocks looks very low/small, once planted after a while they will quickly disappear in the middle of the plants if you not careful, other than that its a good start ;)

Cheers for the comments.

Im not overly fussed if I lose the stones to be honest. I was just going to use wood anyway but seen the stones in a aquatic shop for a good price so got them and put them in. I have had a little play again and now some of the wood is higher and the stones are closer to the base of the wood(pic will come tomorrow). Think im happy with it now.

Hopefully some plants should turn up tomorrow. Place and order with James at http://www.plantedbox.com/ .
Got a selection of crypts, some hairgrass, tennelus and flame moss coming. All for a very good price I may add. Could be an exciting day tomorrow.

Got some stellata and vallis coming from plants alive as well. But after reading some posts on here, I wish I hadnt ordered from there now. Are they really that bad?

Back