• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Chilli rasbora numbers

chr15_8

Hi all,

I'm hoping to add fish shortly to my tank after planting it this weekend.

I'm thinking of going for a shoal of Chilli Rasboras. The tank is 130 litre with about 25 litre of displacement due to the scape.

I was thinking about 40 should be ok? Any suggestions on if I would need more or if that would be too many? I'm not thinking of adding many more fish other than 6/8 otos and many a few gobies.

Thanks
Chris

Wookii

40 would be great - I want a large Chilli shoal when I can eventually get a larger tank, they're awesome fish.

I would wait a few more weeks before adding them though, you want your plants to be actively growing to be sure your tank is maturing biologically, and free of ammonia.

Make sure you start a journal too - I'd love to see a shoal of 40 chillies.

mort

I've seen a few mass groups of chillis and they look far better than they do in small groups. They have very interesting behaviours and with them as the focus of the tank I think you are on to a winner. It's hard to get your head around a number because 40 sounds a lot but I would bet the tank won't look full and they dont have much biomass compared to most fish. I think it's a sensible number but you will likely not know until they are in, it might be that you think you need a few more:)

Would be great to see how you get on.

Aqua360

Looking forward to seeing updates on this, I love seeing larger shoals of small fish in tank sizes that accommodate them :)

chr15_8

Thanks all. Was hoping 40 would be a good starting point and agree its hard to gauge especially with such a small fish.

40 would be great - I want a large Chilli shoal when I can eventually get a larger tank, they're awesome fish.

I would wait a few more weeks before adding them though, you want your plants to be actively growing to be sure your tank is maturing biologically, and free of ammonia.

Make sure you start a journal too - I'd love to see a shoal of 40 chillies.

2/3 weeks was the plan. The tank has actually been running for about 2 or so months now but just been running empty. Will probably add some oto's just before as I have the odd bit of algae starting already.

Journal is in the link below. But I will be sure to add a few pictures here also!

Thanks
Chris