• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Chilli Rasbora fry!!

Hi all,
A lot of Corys can be encouraged to spawn by a water change using cold water.
My Sterbai never show any breeding activity but the other day when there was a serious down pour, first for ages they started "T" ing up.
Same with a lot of the <"L numbers">, people condition them, and then they wait for a low pressure system and do a large water change with softer water. This often gets them going.

cheers Darrel

A lot of Corys can be encouraged to spawn by a water change using cold water.

Try not feeding for a day or 2, then give them live food, like black worm, bbs, frozen bloodworms for a few days, combined with a cold water change, that does the trick for my orange vens.
But a lot of corys have different triggers, some are seasonal for example

Congrats! Are shrimp/snails coping ok with the decreasing TDS, or is this tank fish-only?

Haven’t lowered TDS in the Cory tank or the shrimp tank, I put the baby corys in the shrimp tank, I think they all like mess and rabbit snail poo!!

I will start lowering the TDS further in the chilli tank, now my water butt is starting to fill😂

I have a legacy Siamese fighter in my tank so even if I was lucky enough he would probably hunt out the Fry. When he goes I'm just keeping Chilli's, RCS and the Sterbai which are also legacy fish from another setup. They are probably 6 or 7 Y.O

I have a legacy Siamese fighter in my tank so even if I was lucky enough he would probably hunt out the Fry. When he goes I'm just keeping Chilli's, RCS and the Sterbai which are also legacy fish from another setup. They are probably 6 or 7 Y.O

Had endlers in with mine, only after removing did fry pop up
I’d say most corys would attempt to try their luck with small fry, even their own

Hi Steve. Great looking fish and congratulations on the successful spawning!

I've got Phoenix Rasbora that I would really like to try and breed soon and I had a couple of questions if you don't mind:

- Do you have Amano (or similar) shrimp in the tank with the Chilis and if so, have they shown any interest in hunting the fry;

- What do you feed the adults; and

- What temperature is / was the tank?

Many thanks :thumbup:

I've got Phoenix Rasbora that I would really like to try and breed soon and I had a couple of questions if you don't mind:

- Do you have Amano (or similar) shrimp in the tank with the Chilis and if so, have they shown any interest in hunting the fry;

- What do you feed the adults; and

- What temperature is / was the tank?

Many thanks :thumbup:

No amano

BBS is my preferred food, hikari first bites is good as it stays on the surface
I also make a mix of vibrabites, colour enhancing flake and bug bites , then crush them to a finer powder

Temp 23/24c

HTH

I've got a lot of fry in my tank at the moment. I don't know whether they are from Boraras maculatus or the pair of scarlet badis but I have some extremely aggressive amano shrimp in there and the fry are way too fast for them. The amanos prey on vulnerable cherries after moulting and I even put two assassin snails in there to try and control the ramshorn snail population - the amanos killed and ate both of them. For some reason they ignore the ramshorns but I saw two of them tearing apart an assassin snail while it was still alive. I don't reckon you need to worry about amanos hunting fry but I'm sure they eat eggs..

Man, your Amanos are savage @louis_last! My Cherry shrimp bully mine out fo the way at feeding times by jumping on their backs.
I am totally convinced that providing them too much live food gave the amanos, and berried females in particular, a taste for flesh. This NEVER happened when I was feeding the boraras flake food and the shrimp vegetable based foods. I was always still feeding the shrimp various algae based foods, even some with a lot of protein from peas, but it was only when I started making various livefoods constantly available to fish to try and get them to breed that the amanos started preying on cherries and the assassin snails after I had seen them eating grindal worms and moina. Could be a coincidence but I struggle to believe it, the amanos have been in there for more than a year with no issues prior to me feeding so much livefood. I've seen a lot of people worrying about assassin snails eating their shrimp so I was very surprised to see two amanos working on an assassin snail that was actively struggling to escape. The first one could have been dead already but the second they were literally eating it alive.
Anyway they haven't prevented fry from appearing and nor have the ramshorns that I was concerned about eating eggs, I just need to figure out which fish the fry are from.

Back